Monday, August 9, 2010

Murder At Marley Neck

Less than two weeks after writing about a senseless murder in Baltimore, I find myself  here again. This time it involves a 7-11 clerk in my own Glen Burnie neighborhood. The story is still unfolding but this is what I've read so far:

Sometime around 3:30 am today, three thugs attempted to rob a local 7-11. In an attempt to escape, the store clerk, Youssef Attia, tried to run out of the store. He was abruptly brought down by a gunshot to the back. He lay dying on the floor as the three robbers fled with approximately $35.

Mr. Attia was a 48 year old Egyptian native and a father of two young children. This is troubling on so many levels....

Here's a guy who comes halfway around the world in search of a better life only to have it extenguished by three losers looking for a quick buck. This isn't supposed to happen in America.

Through the years, I've stopped in this particular 7-11 many times. It's just a couple of blocks from my home. I believe that the same family owned and ran the business. They've always been nice to me when I would occasionally stop by to grab a cup of coffee or a hot dog. And, although I don't know the family personally, they are still part of my community and it's upsetting to see what they're going through.

As of now, the three killers have not been caught. They were last seen running down Marley Neck Boulevard shortly after the shooting. I'm sure they'll be caught before too long. Criminals tend to be stupid. They often lack the mental capacity to earn a decent living at a real job. So, they take the easy way out and rob convenience stores. Unfortunately, civilian casaulties are a by-product of their pathetic lifestyles.

Could this senseless murder have been prevented. I would say yes. For instance, the three losers who committed the crime could have chose productive, honest paths in life. Perhaps they could have gotten an education and landed good jobs thus eliminating the urge to rob, steal and kill. The kicker here is that it would have required a little more effort than shooting a defenseless cashier in the back.

Here's another thought.....It could have possibly been a happy ending if Mr. Attia had a .45 behind the counter this morning. He could have saved his own life and, in the process, painted the back wall with the brains of the three thugs. The community would be safer and the local funeral home would get a three for one deal.

Oh, you think I'm being caulous and insensitive? Try explaining that the two young children who will never get to hug their Daddy again......

KW

5 comments:

  1. P O W E R F U L !!!

    One of your best yet.

    ginny

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a shame I couldn't have said it better nothing but cowards

    ReplyDelete
  3. excuse me for putting it this way but fkin ay! You are very articulate and exact. These kids just play the video games that teach them to indiscriminately kill people and cops. Then they loose the true meaning of what their doing because everything is a game but look what happens these poor babies won't have their father so sad. This only speaks of the underbelly of the problem tho Ken. Good writing can't wait to read all your stuff. Tina's is a lucky girl. We Johnson woman are lucky. Oh well, Karylyn isn't LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ken....I too live just a mere block from the scene of this senseless crime. Upon leaving for work that fateful morning, my gut feeling told me it was something more than a robbery. As I learned the horrible news just a few hours later, my heart sunk. Not only for the family and loved ones of Mr. Attia, but for my family and neighbors who slept comfortably in our beds just a block away from the 7 Eleven. Myself and my children visit that store at least once a day. I went to the store to offer my condolenses to the remaining family. I have kept very informed on this story and it is my understanding the local police possibly have 2 of the 3 suspects. I pray everyday for the family and especially 2 young children of Mr. Attia.

    ReplyDelete