Thursday, January 6, 2011

Greetings

During the course of an average day, I cross paths with a variety of individuals. And from my experiences, I would say that mostly all them are friendly and enjoyable to be around. However, there is one thing (actually there's probably more, but let's keep it simple) that really irritates me. It's when people don't know how to greet you.

Let me try to explain.........

For instance, earlier this week, I stopped off at a local wholesale club. On the way out, there was an employee standing near the exit. Although the store says that she's there "for your convenience", she's really there to check your receipt to make sure you didn't steal anything. So, I stroll past the woman and I say to her, "Have a good night". Her response? She stares right past me like I'm Patrick Swayze in "Ghost".

And there's a guy who lives up the street who absolutely refuses to wave to me. For fifteen freggin' years, I've driven past his house. When he's outside, I always throw up a hand as a "I come in peace" gesture. And what do I get in return? A blank stare. And it's not like the guy doesn't see me. He's looking right at me! So now, if I'm driving up the road with Tina, I'll say to her, "Hey, watch me not wave to this guy." Sure, she thinks I'm ridiculous. But somehow, I feel vindicated.

Occasionally, I'll run into the young comatose cashier. You know, the one who hands you your change without words nor expression. For some unknown reason, I always find myself thanking them. And I hate myself immediately afterward. I guess subconsciously, I feel that someone should say something.

And have ever run into this one? You ask someone how they're doing and they ambush you will a tirade of hard luck stories? It's kind of like listening to an old country song. Just because I ask you how you're doing, doesn't mean that I want to be your psychiatrist. I recently bumped into a guy who I hadn't seen in several years. I walk up, extend my hand and say, "Man, it's been a long time. How have you been?" What a mistake that was! I had to spend the next half hour hearing about:
  • A chronic back problem that's kept him from working for the past eight years
  • A pit bull mix he affectionately referred to as "Numb-Nuts"
  • His stripper ex-girlfriend who took him for everything that he had
  • The repo man who "stole" his car
  • The long lines at the methadone clinic
He went on and on and on. Similar to having the hiccups, I found myself rhythmically saying, "Damn, that really sucks." I couldn't take it any longer. When he eventually got winded, I seized the opportunity to make up a story about having to visit a sick relative in the hospital. I said a lightning quick goodbye and bolted.

I dunno, maybe my neighbor up the street has the right idea after all.......

KW

No comments:

Post a Comment