Friday, October 14, 2011

I'm A Little Bit Country



Over the past few years, some of my rock and roll buddies have been giving me a hard time about my fondness of country music. I don't know why, maybe it has something to do with the recent Hank Williams Jr. controversy, but I feel the need to explain myself. So, here it goes....

Growing up, I was forced to listen to my Dad's country tunes coming from his truck's 8-track player on our frequent trips to visit the relatives in North Carolina.. He would listen to artists like Buck Owens, Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard and The Statler Brothers. I was more into the pop oriented music, but some of the country stuff grew on me. I mean, how can you not like "Okie From Muskogee" or "Folsom Prison Blues"?

To be perfectly honest, country music was not cool to twelve year olds. In fact, I didn't know of any kids who were into it. The guys were all into Peter Frampton, Kiss and Aerosmith while the girls were into the teeny bopper idols like Shaun Cassidy and Leif Garrett (before he started his rehab career).

Then came the eighties.....

When the heavy metal and big-hair bands hit the scene, country seemed doomed forever in my eyes. I mean, how could Conway Twitty ever compete with Rob Halford from Judas Priest? And what about Ozzy Osbourne? You almost had to feel sorry for the country stars.

But something began to happen in the 90's. The Seattle grunge movement began to shift the traditional direction of blues based rock and roll. At the same time, rap "music" began to gain popularity. Before long, good ol' rock and roll took a back seat and there was hardly any new artists worth listening to anymore. Rock seemed to have lost it's edge it actually became boring to me.

With this being said, I'm still a huge fan of bands like Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and Judas Priest. I still listen to them all the time. But when it comes to new stuff, I prefer the country tunes. 

So, "Why country music?" you ask. Let me explain....

A few years ago, Tina took a liking to Kenny Chesney. I listened to some of his stuff and I thought it was pretty good. But I wasn't completely hooked yet. Well, when I heard he was coming to town, I decided to pick up a couple of tickets. I figured even if I had to endure a few hours of the "tear in my beer" nonsense, at least I would win some points with the wife.

Sugarland opened up the show and I was pleasantly surprised. It was upbeat, energetic and best of all, it was fun. I was thinking, "Wow, this is actually pretty good!' When Kenny Chesney hit the stage, the place (Merriweather Post Pavilion) was completely fired up. The crowd was into every song and it was a type of energy that I hadn't seen at a concert in a long, long time. When he eventually finished up, I was left wanting more. It was that good. I completely understand why the guy sells out wherever he plays. He's one of the few modern day performers who can still fill stadiums.

I was hooked after the first Chesney show and saw him the following two years when he was in town. I have been to several other country shows which included Miranda Lambert, Lady Anetbellum, Brooks & Dunn, Big & Rich and Little Big Town. In fact, I actually talked Tina into going to see Little Big Town!

Shifting gears a bit, another thing that's great about country music is the women. We all remember the girls of the heavy metal days. Yeah, they were sexy in their "big hair and heavy eyeliner" kind of way. But the country girls are a bit different. They have the All-American look that hasn't yet been compromised by tattoos and body piercings. Cowboy boots, cut-offs and a cowboy hat is a pretty simple ensemble. But you put even an average looking young woman in this outfit, and it gets pretty hot. If you kick it up a notch with a Jennifer Aniston-looking girl, the mercury soars!

Ok, I think I've made my point about country chicks.......

Thinking that I might be wrong about the whole country thing, I asked an old rock and roll buddy about it. I think he put it in perspective. He said, "Country artists try harder." I think this an accurate statement. While the rock stars sometimes appear to be merely "going through the motions" at live shows, the country musicians actually seem to be having a great time. And the country stars are genuinely grateful for the folks who buy the tickets to see them. On the rock side of the house, I almost get the feeling that they have an attitude of arrogance and often take the fans for granted.

I have always loved the sound of a screaming rock guitar. That will probably never change. But when it comes to playing guitar, the country folks have a few of their own guitar heroes. I would put Brad Paisley, Keith Urban and Zac Brown way up on the list. All of these guys can play their asses off!

So, before anyone beats me up too much on this, let me say this. Good classic rock and roll is timeless. Is there any wonder why Jimi Hendrix, The Beatles and The Rolling Stones are still played on contemporary rock stations? I will always enjoy these tunes.

But several years ago, my friend Kathy said to me, "Just give country music a chance, Ken." I did indeed give it a chance. And I liked what I found............

kw

No comments:

Post a Comment