Saturday, January 21, 2012

Airborne Vehicle Debris

Last night, the Baltimore area got it's first taste of the familiar rain/snow/ice mix. Before I could run my errands, I knew I had some prep work to do on my car. So, I cracked all of the ice off as best I could without doing any substantial body damage to my vehicle. I started the engine and cranked the defrost up to the maximum setting. Then I brushed the melting debris off with a large push broom.

Now, I didn't really feel like doing any of this work, But, as a driver, I felt like it's the responsible and courteous thing to do. But apparently, not everyone shares my feelings.....

This afternoon, I'm driving across the Hanover Street bridge on the edge of the city. I'm fully absorbed in David Gilmore's "Comfortably Numb" guitar solo. It was a very tranquil moment. Well, out of nowhere, a two-foot sheet of frozen snow crashes down on the hood of my car! It startled me so much that nearly drove off of the bridge! I looked ahead and saw more sheets of airborne snow crashing down on other motorists. One moment, I'm minding my own business jamming out to Pink Floyd, the next moment I'm in the middle of an avalanche....

As I focused on the road ahead, I could see that all of these projectiles were coming off of an SUV several car lengths ahead. This instantly infuriated me. As I came off of the bridge, I swerved around several potholes (and what appeared to be some kind of carcass) and tried to catch up with the icy SUV. I wanted to tell the guy that because of his laziness and inconsideration, he was putting everyone else's safety in jeopardy. At the very least, I wanted an opportunity to flip him off. But in the end, I caught a red light and he drove away like nothing happened. Maybe it was best....

As I made my way home, I saw several other cars with ice chunks blowing off. I have to think that this causes damages (or worse!) every now and then. It really pissed me off. Why can't people take a few minutes to brush off their vehicles. Is it really asking too much? I understand that some states, such as New Jersey, impose fines on drivers who don't clear their vehicles of snow and ice before heading out to the highway. Now, there's a  fine that I would support! Hey, how about icy car cameras? I mean, we seem to have them for everything else. Why stop with red lights and speeders? On second thought, forget that I mentioned it.....

kw

No comments:

Post a Comment