Thursday, April 4, 2013

Fix Your Crooked Hat!

Last night, I'm at Mike's Crabhouse in Pasadena watching a close game between the Orioles and Devil Rays. The game was all knotted up 4-4 after six innings. The O's went on to add another run in the top of the seventh giving Baltimore fans something to cheer about. But then, as Tampa Bay prepared to bat in the bottom of the inning, the Orioles sent in reliever Pedro Strop. And that's where I nearly came unglued......

This guy really pisses me off. Wanna know why? It's real simple. He wears his hat crooked. Yeah, I know it sounds crazy but the mere sight of this guy with his hat cocked to the left side always raises my blood pressure. His piss-poor pitching performance (try saying that five times really fast!) last night nearly made me throw my beer mug across the room. While the Devil Ray players are crossing home plate, Strop stands on the mound with a frown and his crooked hat. Here's the thing... fans might be willing to ignore the dunce look if you're striking guys out. But as soon as you start getting racked, they're always going to come back to the crooked hat. Trust me, I've heard it.......

I'm actually surprised that Oriole's manager Buck Showalter puts up with this nonsense. He seems to be an old-school kind of baseball guy. I think he should give Strop an ultimatum: You don't pitch until you put your hat on straight! He should remind Strop that he's on center stage at The Big Show and not kickin' it with his homies back in the 'hood. This is the same organization that brought us class acts like Brooks Robinson, Eddie Murray and Cal Ripken. So, it should be understandable why it upsets me to see someone "disrespecting" the black and orange in such a silly way.

And if Strop's crooked hat wasn't bad enough, Tampa Bay sent their closer, Fernando Rodney, to the mound in the ninth inning. And to my dismay, his hat was more crooked than Strop's! WTF is going on here! I was losing my mind. It was as if someone was poking me with a stick. I don't know why this stuff bothers me so much, but it really does. Why do these guys do this? Are they trying to look hard? Or are they simply trying to send a message that says, "Hey kids, even idiots can play in the big leagues. So, turn your hat sideways and go for your dreams!"

Hey look, I don't have anything personal against either one of these guys. Hell, if I ever met them, I would probably even like them. But I'm sure at some point during our conversation, I'd say, "Dude, can you please fix your f*cking hat? It's driving me nuts!" Am I being that unreasonable?

kw

15 comments:

  1. I completely agree about the hat - in life, sometimes it comes down to the small stuff. If every player had the ability to express their attitude however they choose, what would that look like? Respect the game and the fans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peedro is a knucklehead. Wearing the cap crooked started as a Mexican gang "thing" years back. Peedro is not Mexican; in fact, real guys from the DR take being called "Mexican" as an insult! Proving that Peedro is just a dummy. Who thinks looking stupid is "cool". And, what's really worse, is that he has not yet learned to be a pitcher. He's still just a hard thrower with good "stuff" who has only a dim idea of what it takes to pitch in The Show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It"s the Rays not Devil Rays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're obviously not a true fan, that's their name. Tampa Bay Devil Rays!

      Delete
    2. They used to be the Devil Rays, but they officially changed it to just "Rays" in 2008.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This Pedro Strop crooked cap thing is VERY simple and straightforward for ME: I have obsessive compulsive disorder, and his crooked cap just drives me CRAZY!! When he comes in to pitch for my Cubbies, it is SO distracting to me, it is ALL that I can think about ("Straighten your cap, Pedro! Come on, Pedro- straighten the damn cap, will you?!? PEDRO!!! STRAIGHTEN YOUR FREAKING CAP!!!!) The game situation goes right out the window for me- ALL I can THINK about is his damned crooked cap! I KNOW that it is MY problem; not his! It is ALL on me. BUT, STILL, it just about RUINS the game for me... No offense intended to Pedro, here- but I really wish that the Cubs would just trade him, so I can get back to my baseball game. O.C.D. is a really tough thing to deal with- it's like you're not in control of your own thoughts; your mind goes off on these ridiculous tangents, and you are powerless to do anything about it. PLEEEEASE straighten your cap, Pedro- do it for me, so that I can concentrate on WHAT YOU'RE ACTUALLY DOING when you're out on the mound, instead of being obssessed with YOUR CAP, YOUR CAP, YOUR CAP, YOUR CAP, etc., etc., etc. ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. (I have NO idea why my post has been repeated so many times, here, but I'm pretty sure it is something that I scrrwed up- I apologize to everybody.) (Oh, yeah- one more thing: PEDRO!!! FIX YOUR HAT, DAMNIT!!!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I fixed it, so, as Miss Emiy Litella used to say on Saturday Night Live, "Never mind."

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jimmy, I never even considered the OCD thing with the crooked hat. But I can certainly see how it might drive you nuts. I just think the crooked hat makes him look like a clown. Glad he's not in Baltimore anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im glad he's not in Baltimore either. Same with that other worthless pitcher. Whats his name? Oh yea Arrieta. Go Cubs

      Delete
  11. Pedro Strop is a World Champion.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Strop as in no hope. Dump this clown. Typical Strop outing....walk,walk, wild pitch,double,home run.I wish Madden would shove his cap up his ass.

    ReplyDelete