Thursday, July 18, 2013

The Zimmerman Verdict - The Aftermath

On Saturday evening, we finally got the highly anticipated verdict from the George Zimmerman trial. Of course, he was found not guilty on all counts. Although, I think the jury got it right, I am surprised that they didn't at least find him guilty of something. I thought the last minute manslaughter charge may have stuck. But the trial is over and George Zimmerman is now a free man.

Not surprising, the jury's decision has left many with a feeling of injustice. Although rioting has been minimal, there is still a push for further investigation into what led to Trayvon Martin's death. I guess sixteen months wasn't enough time to get all of the facts sorted out?

Before I go any further, let me make a few things clear. First off, I am truly sorry that a 17-year kid died in this situation. Whether or not Zimmerman acted in self defense, there were likely opportunities on both sides to avert the tragic ending. Secondly, I feel really bad for Trayvon's parents. They seem like good people and considering the tremendous loss that they must be feeling, they've handled things well throughout this whole ordeal.

With that being said, I find some of the reactions to the verdict appalling as well as hypocritical. The riots and violence in Oakland (or as the left likes to call it, "civil unrest") are inexcusable. What's the point? Most of these dimwits probably couldn't care less about the Zimmerman verdict. They just use it as an excuse to act like assholes.

Speaking of assholes, Jesse Jackson is now calling on a national investigation on the "racial context" that led to Trayvon's death. Cutting through the bullshit, he's basically saying that Zimmerman singled out Trayvon because he happened to be black. Additionally, Jackson is also calling on the UN's Human Rights Commission for an in-depth investigation on whether the US is upholding it's obligations under international human rights laws. Is this guy serious? The UN's HRC is made up of countries such as Cuba, China, Libya and Saudi Arabia. These countries care as much about human rights as Super Jesse does about racial harmony. Oh, and I forgot to mention that Mauritania, a country in West Africa where slavery still exists, is also part of this compassionate human rights group.

Moving on, Stevie Wonder announced this week that he will be boycotting Florida in protest of the Zimmerman verdict giving the impression that he's not only visually impaired, but mentally impaired as well.

Attorney General Eric Holder spoke in front of the NAACP a few days ago. He basically kissed their ass while assuring them that the Justice Department would dig a little deeper into the Zimmerman situation. I guess that whole double jeopardy thing doesn't apply anymore? I wonder if the Justice Department is going to do this every time there's an unpopular jury decision?

Scanning the social media sites, I saw where liberals were talking about the "right-wing nut jobs" who were viewing George Zimmerman as their new hero. Funny, I haven't seen any of this myself. However, I have seen many people who think that justice was served, But I didn't see any celebrations like I did when OJ Simpson was found not guilty. To sum this all up, if you celebrated OJ's acquittal but feel the need to protest over the Zimmerman verdict, you are:

a) a hypocrite
b) a racist
c) an idiot
d) all of the above

Although we may have differing opinions on the circumstances and the outcome of the trial, I think we should all be able to agree that there are no winners here. The protests and racially charged sideshows, in my opinion, are only making a bad situation much worse. The protests will not bring Trayvon Martin back nor will it change the jury's verdict, Perhaps the energy of these protesters would be better served in places like Baltimore and Chicago where young black men are senselessly killed every day.

kw

No comments:

Post a Comment