Friday, August 23, 2013

A Farewell For Franko

I first got to know Frank DeLost when we were teenagers playing baseball for the local Brooklyn-Curtis Bay traveling team. The team was made up of some rather unique personalities and Frank fit right in as our starting center fielder. Now, keep in mind that Frank had this distinct way of getting from point A to point B. While most people might have considering it walking, I viewed it more as "bopping". I can remember the opposing team jacking balls into deep center field. At first, it appeared that the ball was well over Frank's head. But then, waiting for the last possible second to move, Frank would break into his familiar bop. Trotting casually towards the fence, no one expected him to catch up to the ball. But defying logic, Frank would inevitably snatch the ball out of mid-air. This was just the beginning of many "WTF moments" to come.....

During that same baseball season, we traveled to Richmond, VA to play in a multi-day tournament. We were the Brooklyn-Curtis Bay version of the Bad News Bears. Although the team did have legitimate baseball skills, the highlight of the trip was the endless pranks and shenanigans that we took part in. Since I'm not sure if there's a statute of limitation on any of those antics, I won't go into any detail. All I'll say is that, even 30 years later, Frank would always get a kick out of talking about it. Whenever we ran into each other, at some point, with a big smile on his face, Frank would usually say, "Hey man, that Richmond trip was some crazy stuff."

Not long after our baseball days, Frank started attending the local Jehovah's Witness Kingdom Hall. Most of us knew nothing about the religion, so we did what most teenagers would so: We busted our friend's balls over it. We would sometimes address Frank as "Jehovah". Always good-natured, he would simply respond by asking, "Hey man, why are you calling me God?" This would inevitably turn into a 30-minute lecture from Frank. Before long, to avoid the sermon, we avoided the Jehovah jokes and went back to calling him plain ol' Frank.

In later years, I would occasionally run into Frank at the Club 4100 in Brooklyn where he worked at the time. It was here that Frank would occasionally transition into The Hulk or Batman to entertain the kids at the annual parties at the Club.

A few years ago, Frank joined our bowling league. Ironically, he quickly became known as Spider-Man. This wasn't because of his Super hero costumes from the 4100 Club, but instead, because of the way he threw the bowling bowl. Bopping across the approach lane, Frank would release the ball in a way that resembled Spider-Man throwing a web. Whenever someone yelled, "Hey Spider-man!", Frank would instantly respond by making a goofy face or striking a crazy pose.

I often listen to talk radio. One day, as I'm listening to a local show, the announcer says, "Now we're going to Frank in Curtis Bay. OK, Frank, what's on your mind?"

As soon as I heard the voice, I knew it was my old buddy. In true Franko fashion, he came right out the gate with a barrage of comments that would have even Einstein scratching his head. The announcer (I think it was Tom Marr), responded by saying, "Frank, what the hell are you talking about?"

I was laughing so hard, I nearly drove my car into a ditch.  From then on, whenever I heard the announcer say that he was going to "Frank from Curtis Bay", I would instantly pull my car off to the side of the road just to be safe.

...............................................................................................................

Sadly, we recently learned of Frank's untimely passing. Although he needed a new liver, he declined any option of a transplant because he said "some kid might need it more". This sums up Frank's unselfish nature and the compassion he had for others.

I will always remember Frank as a guy with whom I could share a zany story and a good laugh. I can't say that I've ever met anyone like him. And I doubt that I ever will......

In lieu of a traditional funeral, one of Franks last wishes was for all of his friends to get together for a Memorial/Farewell Party in his honor. That party is scheduled for tomorrow where many of Frank's longtime friends will gather and share their favorite memories. Although Frank won't be there tomorrow, his presence will surely be felt through our timeless recollections of him......

kw

2 comments:

  1. Here's a pictorial trip down memory lane for those of you who knew and grew up with Franko...
    https://www.facebook.com/kathynance/media_set?set=a.10202084636703962.1073741839.1428652167&type=1

    ReplyDelete
  2. we all remembered wild nites of fun ,and also a soft sided good guy willing to help even the proverbial little old lady to cross the street from long hours at work only made franko give 110% to a party or bar pool game always friendly always the smile even when it really hurt bad the real trooper we should all be more like each day rest in peace my friend your hurts are over now

    ReplyDelete