Sunday, February 3, 2019

Super Bowl 53 Ramblings

So, here we are, on the dawn of another Super Bowl. There was a time, not so long ago, when I used to really look forward to this day every year. Whether I was hosting the party or I was joining friends somewhere else, it was always a festive occasion. Not so much anymore...

I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't interested in tonight's game. After all, Tom Brady will potentially cement his place in history (again!) as the greatest NFL quarterback of all time. He's exciting to watch. Remember that comeback against the Falcons in Super Bowl 51? That was nothing short of spectacular! Sure Brady's got a lot of critics, but I think it has more to do with jealousy than anything else. I mean the guy has everything anyone could ever want: money, fame, success, beautiful wife, etc. I used to hear Raven fans try to elevate QB Joe Flacco by saying "all the guy does is win". That claim would be a vast understatement when it comes to Brady.

Tonight's match-up boils down to the old versus the new. You've got an aging but experienced Brady/Bellechick team taking on the young, hungry Rams led by QB Jared Goff and 33-year-old head coach Sean McVay. It should be an interesting contest.

By the way, am I the only one who likes the old Patriots uniforms of the 80's better than the modern ones?

I have dinner plans this evening, so I really don't plan on watching the game. Although, if it happens to be on, I'll likely glance at it every now and then to check the score. After all, I do have a few football pools for the game.

I don't feel the need to rehash the reasons that I don't watch much football anymore. Some friends agree with me, others don't. That's fine, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

With this being said, there is a potential controversy brewing over the halftime show. There is pressure on Maroon 5 and others to "make a statement" during their acts to show solidarity with Colin Kaepernick's "knee campaign". No one has revealed if anything will be done or not. But I suspect that we'll see some form of protest. I think most people have become somewhat numb to it and will generally just ignore whatever the statement-du-jour happens to be.

I remember a Super Bowl a few years ago where Beyonce made her whole half-time act a political statement. As expected, it inspired/angered equally. I happened to be in the latter end of that group. I personally like to see politics left out of my music and sports. Of course, music can be a lot trickier because it's often fueled by politics. I get it. But the divisiveness is what really turns me off. As the old Coca-Cola commercial used to say, "I'd like the teach the world to sing in perfect harmony..." I know it's a pipe dream but it's still a nice thought.

Anyway, enjoy the game if you happen to be watching it. For what it's worth, my random prediction is Patriots 38 Rams 24.

kw


No comments:

Post a Comment