Thursday, November 28, 2019

A Thanksgiving Message 2019

I've seen fire and I've seen rain,
I've seen sunny days that I thought would never end.
I've seen lonely times when I could not find a friend,
But I always thought that I'd see you again....

- James Taylor


Several years ago, my uncle passed away. He was a jolly, upbeat person who everyone loved. Although we didn't get together as often as maybe we should have, I always enjoyed his company. So, when he left this world, it was a big loss for everyone who had the pleasure of ever meeting him.

During his viewing, a family friend brought his guitar and played a rendition of James Taylor's "Fire and Rain". I had heard the song many times before. I always thought is was a nice song but it never really struck an emotional chord for me. But when our friend started to play the opening notes with our uncle laying motionless behind him, the emotion could be felt throughout the entire room. It was a beautiful moment. When he sang the last line of the chorus, it took everything I had to hold back the tears. I finally got what the song was all about.

This morning, for some unknown reason, I picked up my acoustic guitar and started to play the classic James Taylor tune. As I strummed the chords to the chorus,  I instinctively reflected on the family and friends that I have lost in recent years. I felt an instant rush of emotion that gave way to a subtle smile. A simple thing, but so powerful.

As we go through life, we meet many people. Some are family, some are friends. But they all touch us in their own unique way. As the years go by, our interactions and exchanges transition into precious memories. With each recurring encounter, we seldom consider that the next encounter may never come. Sadly, tomorrow is never guaranteed. That's why its so important to live life to the fullest and try to embellish the lives of everyone around you. And if you happen to meet a stranger who doesn't have a smile, be generous and give them yours. We all have friends out there who we have yet to meet...

On this day of giving thanks, be sure to remember all of those important people in your life, past and present. Be thankful for all of the good times that you have shared and will continue to share. And try to set aside your differences and appreciate the things that unite us and make us happy.

And last but certainly not least, please remember the troops and first responders who work hard today and every day to keep us safe and secure.

Happy Thanksgiving!

kw

Image result for thanksgivng"

No comments:

Post a Comment