Sunday, April 7, 2024

Mom Turns 80

I was still in high school when my Mom was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. We really didn't understand what it meant. And we had no idea of the impact that it would have on her in the subsequent years.

As time moved on, my Mom's health continued to decline. She was progressively robbed of her overall mobility. In the initial stages, she used a walker to help guide her along. A few years later, she relied on a battery-operated scooter to move around. We used to joke with her about her "driving skills" as she occasionally took a corner too sharp and gouged the sheetrock or wood molding. It would drive my Dad nuts! At the first sound of impact, he would pop out of his La-Z-Boy recliner and say, "God dammit, Linda! Watch where you're going! I just fixed that wall last week!"

While we tried to keep things light and positive, we knew the seriousness of Mom's bumpy road. She eventually wound up in a electric wheelchair that she controlled with a small joystick. Within a few years, she was no longer able to drive the chair herself. Her mobility now relied on someone else pushing her wheelchair. Sadly, today she is pretty much confined to her bed.

And last year, she starting losing her ability to swallow. So a feeding tube was inserted. Eating, one of the most basic joys in life, was cruelly snatched away. The blows just never seem to stop coming.

The most amazing thing through all of this is that my Mom never gave up hope. And she never complained. Not matter how bad things got, she always viewed it as a temporary setback and believed that tomorrow would be a better day. I found it inspiring and did my best to channel her positive energy into my own life. There were times when I would find myself in a bad spot. Like most of us, my first inclination was to feel sorry for myself. But I would always look at my Mom's way of handling adversity and I would instantly see things differently. After all, whatever I was going through at the time could not even remotely compare to what my Mom was going through. 

I never quite understood cliches like "everything happens for a reason". But if there are two things that I took from my Mom's dire situation, they are: #1. Don't waste time feeling sorry for yourself. It serves no purpose. Get your ass together and start looking for a solution. #2. Don't ever give up!

Admittedly, my Mom's outlook noticeably changed after my Dad's passing in 2016. But she still somehow finds hope with each new day.

Today, my Mom celebrated her 80th birthday. With Roy Orbison streaming from a Bluetooth speaker and her grandkids running rampant, I saw her smile for the first time in a long time.

Mom had a good day today. And that makes me smile....

kw




1 comment: