Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Take Me Out To The Ballgame

I’m guessing I was around seven or eight years old when my dad took me to my first Oriole’s game at Memorial Stadium. Even though it was many years ago, I still remember that feeling of walking across 33rd Street and being swallowed up by the grandeur of the stadium. As I walked up the interior ramps, I remember catching my first glimpse of the playing field. The sight of the perfectly manicured grass nearly took my breath away.

As we made our way to our seats, I saw the players warming up near the dugouts. Up until now, these players only existed on baseball cards and TV. For me, this was like catching a glimpse of Santa Claus coming down the chimney on Christmas Eve. I was in heaven!

When it came to superheros, most kids opted for Batman, Superman or even the Six-Million Dollar Man (remember him?). My superhero was Brooks Robinson – The Human Vacuum Cleaner. When I saw Brooks pop out of the Oriole’s dugout for the first time, it was a bit surreal. There he was, within shouting distance of me, tossing the ball back and forth to a very young Doug Decinces (who would eventually become Brooks’ successor at third base). If I could have had one wish at that moment, it would have been to been for Brooks to turn to me and to say, “Hey Kenny, grab your glove and let’s play some catch.” A boy can dream, can’t he?

As the game began, the starting lineup trotted out onto the field. Boog Powell began to toss ground balls to his fellow infielders: Brooks, Mark Belanger and Bobby Grich. The outfielders were throwing fly balls to one another as well. Don Baylor would toss the baseball effortlessly into the stadium air as Paul Blair impressed the crowd with an over-the-shoulder catch. Blair was like a gazelle in the outfield. Although his tenure was relatively short with the O’s, he’s still one of my all time favorite centerfielders.

I can remember the Oriole’s were playing the Oakland A’s. This was in the mid-seventies when the A’s had superstars like Reggie Jackson, Catfish Hunter, Vida Blue and Joe Rudi. Although not a household name, they also had a shortstop named Bert “Campy” Campaneris. He was a great leadoff hitter and always a threat to steal a base. Even though he was playing for the enemy, I couldn't help but to like him.

One of the things that I vividly remember about the A’s was their uniforms. There were bright yellow and green. It’s a wonder the opposing team didn’t need sunglasses!

As the game went on, I took in every moment. When I saw the first ball leave the park I was in awe. I can’t really remember who hit it, but it really didn’t matter. The ball seemed to leave the stratosphere as it disappeared over the left field wall. I turned around to the kid next to me and said, “Wow! Did you see that??”

After one particular close call that didn’t go the Oriole’s way, Earl Weaver came storming out of the dugout. He went face to face with one of the umpires while the crowd went wild. And even though I didn’t really know what was going on, I laughed and clapped with everyone else. It was like we were all one huge Baltimore family! This was Birdland, baby!

All good things must eventually end, and the ninth inning was finally in the books. The Orioles were victorious and I couldn’t have been happier. On the way out, I remember that I kept looking back at the field. I didn't want to forget what it looked like. I probably drove my dad crazy on the drive home asking him over and over, "When can we come back!?"

Throughout my childhood and into my adult life, I went to many more Oriole’s games at Memorial Stadium and later, Camden Yards. Because of all the great memories, I will always be partial to Memorial Stadium. There was just something magical in the air out there. Especially on that one summer day in 1973.......

KW

1 comment:

  1. Ken, you know what the sad thing is? That you can name the starting infield of the '73 Orioles. That was when the game was a game, not the BUSINESS it's turned into over the years. That's what has ruined what was a great thing. I remember playing baseball ALL day long and imagining that I was Brooks, Palmer, Boog, McNalley, Gritch, Blair, or whatever Oriole was in the position I was playing at the time. Now I'd be hard pressed to name 5 Orioles. I bet this is the same in cities all over the US. That's the problem. Nobody knows who playing for the home team anymore. Free agency and the big paycheck is going to be the downfall of what was once a great sport. Not to mention that today's youth was instant gratification. That's why sports like soccer and lacrosse are becoming so huge today. The kids can run around the field and FEEL like they're doing something even though they might kick/touch the ball once or twice during a game. As long as they're running around, they're doing something. They don't appreciate the cerebral nature of baseball. Playing the line on a curveball, shifting one way or the other depending on the batter. Besides, when I coached, you can't teach any of that in 4 one hour practices, 2 of which are usually rained out. And when we were kids, we play ball well into the summer, usually until late July/early August, and played around 20 games. Now the kids are lucky to get 10 games in and are done when school ends unless they get on a travel team. They need to make share the fields for spring/fall soccer, football, lacrosse, etc.

    ReplyDelete