Friday, February 4, 2011

Customer Service Overload

I think it's safe to say that there is a noticeable decline on the quality of customer service these days. The attitude of "the customer is always right" seems to be the exception rather than the rule. I never quite understood how businesses could have such disregard for their customers.

With this being said, there are times when customer service reaches a little too far in the other direction. Let me explain....

The other day, I stopped off a local Sears to have my tires rotated. (I also asked to have one of the tires checked for slow leak. This will come in to play later.) They tell me it will take about an hour or so to have the work done. So, I figure I'll kill some time in the mall and grab some lunch.

I order my usual meal at the Chic-Fil-A and head to a table to chow down. Now, keep in mind, I usually have a "working lunch" where I'll check emails and messages while simultaneously woofing down my sandwich du jour. So, it should come as no surprise, I like my solitude. Well, as soon a I sit down, the Chic-Fil-A lady comes over and says, "Hello sir, how is everything? Is there anything I can get you?"

I politely say, "No thanks, I'm all set."

I barely take a second bit out of my sandwich and the woman reappears and asks, "Sir, can I get you a refill on your drink?"

Again, I politely explain that I my drink is quite full and that if I need anything, she'll be the first to know.

Not five minutes pass and she's back. "Sir, how are we doing? Is everything all right?"

I nearly lose it. I sooo want to say, " For God's sake! No, everything is not all right! My only wish is to eat my number one with a Diet Dr. Pepper without being asked a barrage of freggin' questions every thirty seconds! Is that too much to ask???"

But, not wanting to cause a scene, I just give her the ol' hand wave as if to say "I'm good."

Eventually, I make my way back to Sears to check on the status of my car. The "mechanic" comes in and asks my if that's my white Acura. I tell him it is. He then starts to give me the scientific explanation of why my tire has a slow leak. He explains that granules of grit have "compromised the integrity of the tire bead".

In the nicest way possible, I tell him that I don't really care about the integrity of the tire bead. I just want him to fix the leak.

As if he's going into battle, he tells me that he'll do his best and he heads back out to the shop. I almost felt like I should have given him a cookie or something.

Anyway, he comes back about thirty minutes later and proudly tells me that he was able to fix it. I'm serious, this guy was acting like he just discovered the cure for cancer. As the cashier is completing my paperwork, the tire guy continues to linger around and tells us both about his latest accomplishment. It was kind of like having Slingblade looming over your shoulder. The cashier even hinted to him, "Ok, I think we've got everything. Do you have any more work waiting for you?"

The tire guy seems to be oblivious to her question. Instead of answering her, he gives more play-by-play on the dying art of fixing a flat. Oddly, he then segued into a speech about the dismal American economy. When I finally completed my paperwork, I bolted towards the door.

And shortly afterwards, for lack of better judgement, I ventured into a local Wal-Mart. of course, I saw the usual mullets, people in pajamas, transvestites, big girls in little clothes and a guy who seemed to be having an episode of Tourettes as he kept yelling, "What up, b*tch!". But other than that, it was pretty much uneventful. So, I quickly gather up my few items and hit the checkout line. It was about that time when the "door guy" offers me a smiley face sticker. I cordially decline his offer of generosity. As I move out of the checkout line, he comes at me again,and says, "Sticker? Wanna smiley face sticker?"

I use my body English to tell him that my hands are full and that I don't want his smiley face sticker. He obviously doesn't speak body English, and proceeds to peel a sticker off of his roll and tries to stick it on me. It's ridiculous! I'm running towards the door as the banjo playing kid from Deliverance is chasing me yelling "Sticker! Smiley face sticker!" If I were in Target, people would have been rolling on the flor laughing. But since I was in Walmart, no one even gave it a second glance.

Good customer service is one thing, But sometimes, going that extra mile isn't such a good idea......

KW

No comments:

Post a Comment