Thursday, June 14, 2012

The Next In Line

So, I'm in the line at the grocery store the other day. I only have a few items, but the express line is already ten people deep. Now I have to decide whether to use the self-checkout line or wait in the "regular" line behind people with full shopping carts. My past experience with the self service lines has shown me that they always seem to be more hassle than they are worth. It never fails, whenever I scan my items, there's always at least one that doesn't scan correctly. This, of course, requires an employee to come over and override the system.

With all of this going through my head, I choose to get in the regular line. After about ten minutes of waiting, I'm finally relieved to see that I've only got one person in front of me. At this time, a new register opens and the young cashier says, "I can help the next person in line". This prompts the person at the end of the line to make a bee-line over to the new register. This happens all the time. Why can't people comprehend the difference between the next person in line and the last person in line. There is a big difference, you know...

I have to put some of the blame on the cashiers. They should specifically call over the appropriate person and not leave it up the shoppers, who too often prove to be mentally challenged. And I never know how to react to these situations. Should I cut the guy off at the pass and tell him to get his ass back at the end of the line? Or would I be "out of line" by enforcing this blatant breach of check-out etiquette? Maybe I should just let it go and continue to wait patiently like a good boy?

One thing's for certain, it's much easier to shop online than in line.....

kw

No comments:

Post a Comment