Thursday, January 3, 2013

Signing For Dollars

I can remember when getting a baseball signed by your favorite player was relatively cheap. In fact, there was a time that the only price you paid for an autograph was a short wait in line. Nowadays, you have to work a second job in order to have a decent autograph collection.

Personally, I think that it should be part of the player's contractual duty to occasionally sign autographs for free. For someone making $5 million a year, I really don't think it's asking that much.

And even if they're going to charge, do they have to charge so much? I was just reading an article about how Carolina Panthers QB Cam Newton charges $125 for a signed photo. And you have to provide the photo! If you want your football signed, it will cost you $150 and if you bring your jersey, plan on coughing up $175. Oh, and it not over yet. if you want it personalized (i.e. To Ken), bring an extra $50. Am I the only one who finds something wrong with this?

Several years ago, I just happened to be at a shopping center where legendary Oriole's manger Earl Weaver was doing a bookstore signing. If you wanted, you could buy a baseball that was previously signed by Earl for $25. Looking back, I wish I would have bought one. But, instead,  I opted to take one of the free 5x7 head-shots which Earl gladly signed. I asked him if he would make it out "To Ken". He smiled and said, "Absolutely." Now that's the way you treat your fans.

As a kid, I can remember players from the Oriole's and Colts routinely showing up around the community to do autograph sessions. And I never remember anyone paying a dime. In fact, I had so many Brooks Robinson autographs at one point, I used a signed ball for a pick-up game of baseball at the local park. I mean no disrespect. I just figured that there would be plenty of other opportunities to get another ball signed. And besides, we wanted to play ball! Even Brooks himself would appreciate that.

Nowadays, it's all about squeezing the last cent out of the fans. I just found out earlier today that the Oriole's annual fanfest will require autograph vouchers. In other words, not only will you pay for admission to the activity, but you'll also have to pay an addition fee if you want to get anything signed by the players.

And I know in a lot of these cases, we're told that a portion of the signing fees will go to charity. Somehow, I'm not buying the sincerity on this one. I could even see if the charge was ten or twenty bucks, but come on. $150? Really?

And remember when you could actually read the signature? Today's autographs often look like something a child scribbled or a simple check mark. Come on, if someone is chalking up $150 for you to sign your name, can't you at least take the time to make it somewhat legible?

Playing the devil's advocate for a moment, I can understand how autographed memorabilia has become a huge business. I guess the players feel that if someone is going to make a buck off of their signature, they might as well make a buck as well. If this is the case, then I have an easy solution. Since personalizing the autograph significantly decreases the value, don't charge for those signings. If someone requests a standard signature, feel free to gouge him for whatever makes you happy.

Anytime I've ever gotten a signature in person  I've always asked to have it made out "To Ken". The items that I've accumulated over the years, for the most part, only have personal value. And that fine by me since I have no intention of ever selling any of it. Of course, these items will eventually be passed onto my son. And since he shares my name, they will be personalized to him as well. If today's players found out about something like this, they would probably charge double!

kw

No comments:

Post a Comment