Friday, November 1, 2013

More Offensive NFL Teams

The controversy regarding the Redskins "offensive" name is still alive and well. But as I was thinking about it tonight, I realized that people might have it all wrong. If any team should be offensive to Indians, shouldn't it be the Cowboys? I mean, who was giving the Indians the most grief in the old westerns? It wasn't a burgundy and gold football team. It was the freggin' cowboys! And when we were kids, we didn't play football and Indians. No, indeed. We played Cowboys and Indians. So, instead of the Oneida Indian Nation putting pressure on Dan Snyder, maybe then should head to Dallas and have a talk with Jerry Jones.

Aside from the Redskins controversy, I also thought about how some of the other teams could be deemed offensive. For instance, what about the Giants? Couldn't their cockiness be considered just a bit insensitive to short people? Didn't they already suffer enough emotional abuse from Randy Newman?

And what about the Saints? Should the Vatican take offense? After all, this was the "saintly" team who put out bounties on opposing players. That sure doesn't very saint-like to me. I think the Pope should head to New Orleans and have a sit-down with the team.

Let's look at the St. Louis Rams. I'm sure there's a group of pissed-off mountain goats out there somewhere who don't want their name associated with a big city. By the way, has anyone ever seen a ram in St. Louis?

Why does Buffalo get away with calling their team the Bills? There's probably at least one guy named Bill who doesn't take too kindly to Buffalo using his name. He should petition the team to change their name to the Steves, Johns, Joes or Bobs.

The San Francisco 49ers.....why not give some love to a few of the other numbers? 

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers..... I wonder how those Somali pirates feel about this?

The Green Bay Packers? I'm not going to touch this one.

And regarding the Jaguars, there's probably a group of promiscuous, old women who have a problem with the name. Oops, sorry, I was thinking about cougars. Nevermind....

kw

2 comments:

  1. I think The Redskins should be renamed The Washington Foreskins as the appropriate honor to Washington, DC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think you would get too many arguments with that!

      Delete