Monday, December 23, 2013

Blown Out But Still Breathing

As game time approached yesterday, I actually thought that the Ravens would give the Patriots a run for their money. Boy, was I mistaken! The highly anticipated grudge-match was one of the worst displays of game execution that I've seen in a long, long time. Last week, the Ravens relied on six field goals from Justin Tucker to squeak out a win against the Lions. This week, they could barely get the ball on their side of the 50-yard line. Baltimore's lone touchdown didn't come until the 4th quarter. After scoring three 4th quarter TD's against Minnesota a couple of weeks ago, they went on a seven quarter TD drought. You never know what you're going to get with this team.

Speaking of which......What was up with Justin Tucker yesterday? The guy just came off of the best kicking performance in Ravens history and then he misses a chip shot? Did someone kidnap Tucker and send Billy Cundiff out in his place? That was just crazy.

As I watched the game from a pub table at the local Greene Turtle, I got more and more frustrated with every Raven's mishap. The team not only looked flat, but they didn't seem to have any fire in their belly. At times, I was on the verge of throwing my beer mug across the bar. But I really didn't want to compound my football frustrations with a trip to the police station.

I've watched a few games at the Greene Turtle. It usually attracts a diverse football crowd. Yesterday, about half of the crowd were Raven fans. But also saw fans for the Packers, Redskins, Cowboys, Colts and Steelers. Watching the terrible towels come out after every Pittsburgh score had me on the verge of coming unglued. Thank God there were no Patriots fans in attendance. That would have been enough to push me over the edge!

Now, I'll say two nice things about Tom Brady: He's a really good quarterback and he's got a really hot wife. However, I really hate him. And I should feel really bad for the terrible things that I wished on him yesterday. But I don't. Trying to find something salvageable after the Patriots picked off a pass and returned it for a TD, I took joy in watching Brady walk around the sideline trying to give someone an high-five. Unfortunately, for Brady, there didn't seem to be any takers. Apparently, he's such a dick that his own teammates won't even high-five him. How cool is that?

The officiating in yesterday's game was pretty bad. I think the Ravens were called for some bullshit penalties. But you could make an argument that the Pats got their share petty flags and no-calls as well. It wouldn't have made much of a difference anyway. The Patriots straight up whooped Baltimore's ass. To add salt to the wound, I had to endure the wrath of several anti-Raven Facebook friends as they delivered their predictable jabs. Hey, if I'm going to give it out when the Ravens are winning, I've got to be prepared to take my lumps when things go the other way. It's part of the game.

What I have to keep reminding myself is that this was supposed to be a rebuilding year. Six months ago, I had the Ravens pegged to finish at 8-8. Regardless of what happens this Sunday, my prediction will ring close enough. However, the good news is that Baltimore is somehow still in the playoff hunt. If they win on Sunday and either Miami or San Diego loses, the Ravens go to the playoffs for the sixth consecutive season. Strangely enough, the Ravens could actually lose on Sunday and still make the playoffs. Yes, that's right. If Miami, San Diego and Pittsburgh all lose, the Ravens move on regardless. But don't expect that to happen.

It's the last week of the season and we still have a shot. That's not so bad when you think about it........

kw

No comments:

Post a Comment