Wednesday, March 26, 2014

REAL ID - Coming To a DMV Near You

So, I stopped by my local DMV today. The first thing that I noticed was that the parking lot was jam packed. I made my way toward the few vacant spots on the very end. I had to slam on the brakes to avoid being hit by an impatient motorist who was backing out of his spot. The thought of being involved in an accident at the DMV is hard to absorb.

So, after I park my car, I make my way to the main building. The activity seems to be bustling as I pass several people having incoherent conversations along the way. I approach the building and see a long line of people snaking out of the door and down the side of the building. It seems rather odd seeing all of these people huddled outside considering that the windchill was in the 20-degree range. And although there is a lot of talking going on, I can't understand a single word because everyone seemed to be speaking Spanish. I'm not judging, I'm just stating a fact.

A short while later, one of my colleagues informs me that the long lines are a direct result of the recently implemented REAL-ID Act. This federally mandated law basically requires national standards on state driver's licenses. The act, which was rushed through Congress and bundled up in a 2005 spending bill, was signed into law by President George W. Bush.

Many states oppose REAL-ID on grounds that it violates state's rights. Up until now, state's determined their own requirements for driver's license. But with REAL-ID, the following national standards will be required to obtain a new license:

  • A photo ID (or non-photo ID) that includes full legal name and birthdate
  • Documentation of birth date
  • Documentation of legal status
  • Social Security number
  • Documentation showing name and principal residence address
Once the driver's license is issued, it must contain the following pieces of personal data:
  • Full legal name
  • Signature
  • Date of birth
  • Gender
  • Unique ID number
  • Principal residence address
  • Front facing photo of the license holder
When I first looked at the requirements, I thought, "What's the big deal?" After all, don't we have to provide this type of info anytime we have any kind of legal transaction or contractual agreement? But yes, there are many people who have a big problem with it. And it may not be the people you would expect.

For instance, since President Bush signed this into law, you would expect conservatives to line up in support of it. But not necessarily the case. People from all different backgrounds. religions and persuasions have voiced opposition. And there's also concern about the "Big Brother" scenario in which the government is overreaching it's legal limits. Some see a "national ID card" as nothing more than the government's ultimate control mechanism.

The REAL ID data will also be also be part of a database that will be linked/shared by all 50 states.

Additionally, since the DMV will now be required to copy birth certificates and other personal documents, the potential for ID theft can't be ignored. If someone steals your driver's license, will they now have access to all of your other personal info?

The cost of the whole project has been estimated at almost $10 billion, of which, the federal government will fund almost nothing. This leaves the state governments and individuals picking up the tab. This will inevitably result in increased fees for services and, as I witnessed today, much longer lines at the DMV.

Welcome to the post-9/11 world......

kw

No comments:

Post a Comment