Monday, March 31, 2014

Opening Day 2014

"Well, beat the drum, and hold the phone, the sun came out today.
We're born again and there's new grass on the field......."
     - John Fogerty


As I walked outside this morning, there was finally an distinct feeling of springtime. The chirping birds and bright sunlight seemed to instantly wash away any recent memories of a snowy winter. The ground dried from a weekend of rain, giving a slight hint of the green grass below. I guess it's fitting that today happens to be Opening Day for Major League Baseball.

For me, Opening Day always brings back fond memories. As a kid, I couldn't wait to get home from school to catch the game. In those days, the games weren't always televised, so we often had to depend on our small transistor radios to bring us the play-by-play. Legendary announcer Chuck Thompson delivered the game in way that made you feel like you were sitting right behind the O's dugout at Memorial Stadium. I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Thompson at a bull roast many years ago. He was genuinely nice and made me feel like I was talking to an old friend.

Walking down the street with a radio up to my ear, the excitement of the game would sometimes be too much to keep to myself. So, I would occasionally update a total stranger on the game details. I just felt that they would want to know....

"Boog just knocked one out of the park. The birds are up 3 nothing", I informed an elderly man as he swept off his front stoop.

"Great news, son. Thanks!", he would reply.

I would bop on down the street until someone would inevitably stop me and ask, "What's the score?"

"Three nothing, Birds. But the Yanks have two on and nobody out. Hopefully, Brooks can turn a DP and get 'em out of it." I would answer. This would bring a nod of acknowledgement from my new friend as I continued on my way.

There was no doubt that the Orioles brought the community together. We all shared in the joy of a Jim Palmer shutout or an Eddie Murray clutch homer. There was a certain camaraderie that existed between the players and fans. The promotion campaign centered around "Oriole's Magic". And that's exactly what is was....

The O's will kick things off at Camden Yard later this afternoon. It's really enlightening to have a team with such personality and talent. It definitely brings back memories of the good ol' days. The bats will surely be there. But if the pitching comes through, there's no telling how far this team can go. Looking forward to another exciting year!

Play ball!

kw

No comments:

Post a Comment