Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Rip's 50th Birthday Roast

We are gathered here today to celebrate what my humble friend, Rip, used to refer to as “National Greatness Day”. Now, I'm not trying to say that Rip is arrogant or anything, but he also used to refer to himself as "The Ultimate Man". When we used to play softball together, on the back of Rip's jersey, it simply said "The Man". Can you imagine carrying a head that big for 50 years?

I can say these things because I have known Rip longer than most people. I think we first met about 40 years ago. We grew up within a couple of blocks of each other in Brooklyn. We played football together in Garrett Park and baseball against each other at the old 6th Street ball fields. And then we became best friends a few years later when we attended Cardinal Gibbons High School together.

("Yeah, yeah, tell us some stories, Ken!”)

Ok, since you insist…....

Like I mentioned, Rip and I went to high school together where he was somewhat of a legend. For example, I think Rip still holds the all-time record for total days spent in detention by a single student. It was a rare occasion when Rip joined the rest us on the bus stop immediately after school. The reason for all of the detentions could be summed up in two words....his mouth. He would never miss an opportunity to make a wisecrack in the middle of class and this would almost always translate into an extended school day.

Rip's high school fashion statements are also worth mentioning. You see, we went to a private school where we were required to wear ties. Well, Rip, was always trying to push the envelope with this. He would wear a bright plaid shirt and then accent it with a striped tie. Just the sight of it was enough to give you a migraine. But to take it even farther, he would make this huge knot in the tie which caused the tie to only hang down a little past the collar. He would come strutting down the hall in this ridiculous looking combination, saying, "That's right. Uh-huh, I'm the man." The teachers would see him passing by and they would just shake their heads.

("Was Rip very competitive back in the day?")

Yes, yes he was.... 

Rip and I used to play different sports together. And yes, Rip was always very competitive. Losing was never an option for him. Now, that's not to say that he never lost. He did.....quite often. And that's when the fun would start. When things didn't go his way, Rip would often take his frustration out on random objects.

("Can you give us an example?")

Yes, I sure can......

I can remember one night, we were playing softball. I believe that it was at Latrobe Park in South Baltimore. Well, Rip comes up to bat and ultimately winds up striking out. So, feeling the need to take out his frustration on something, he walks up to a nearby electrical panel and punches it. Well, the next thing you know, all the lights go out. Everyone was wondering what happened as they stood on the dark field. I guess Rip figured that if he couldn't see the ball, no else was going to either.

("Ken, are there any other sports stories?")

Yes, there are......thanks for asking.

There was another time when my son, Kenny Jr., was about 10 years old and we were heading out to play a round of miniature golf. Rip happened stop by as we were heading out the door. Going against better judgment, I invited him to join us. As we played the first few holes, Rip was having an off day (which was kind of normal). Anyway, Kenny and I were ridiculing him the whole time which was really starting to get under his skin. Well, after missing shot after shot, Rip eventually reached a boiling point. Extremely frustrated, he swung at the next ball extra hard and finally hit it squarely. The ball left his club at about 150 mph and, as luck would have it, hit a cinder block behind the hole. As if he wasn't having a bad enough day already, the golf ball bounced off of the cinder block and came back and cracked Rip in his bottom lip. But even a high-speed golf ball is no match for Rip's mouth. He kept bitching and complaining but was determined to keep playing. However, the sight of blood squirting from his bottom lip was major distraction. Plus, it was really starting to scare the nearby kids. He eventually wound up having to go to the ER to get it stitched up. So, there you go, the first person ever to wind up in the emergency room after a round of putt-putt golf. 

We also used to play tennis together. Rip would often get frustrated which always had the potential to lead to a John McEnroe-like tirade. On one of these occasions, Rip hurled his tennis racket and it wound up in a nearby tree. As we were standing around looking up at the racket, which was about 30 feet up, people were walking by asking, "How did that get all the way up there?" I would just shake my head.

I understand that Rip has recently graduated from putt-putt golf to grown-up golf. He must be like the Happy Gilmore of Compass Point. I can see all other golfers ducking and running for cover every time Rip takes a swing. I’m told that Rip has the unique ability to transform a golf ball into a scud missile. He’s always bugging me to go golfing with him. But the mere thought of this guy swinging a long metal club scares the hell out of me.

When I heard they were going let Rip carry a gun, I hid under my bed for three days…..

(Hey Ken, is Rip a cop or something?)

Well, that's a tricky question. You see, Rip doesn't like for people to know that he’s a cop. He prefers to keep things "undercover". But it always seems to trickle out somehow. For instance, if a waitress isn't fast enough with Rip's beer, he'll tell her, "Hey, I'm getting thirsty over here. Don't make me get out my nightstick and give you a wood shampoo!"

Gee, I wonder what he does for a living.....

Of course, I'm just having some fun at my friend's expense. The truth of the matter is that Rip is actually a really good guy. But yes, he's very opinionated and can be somewhat abrasive at times. And to people who don't really know him, this can be a bit confusing. So, through the years, I have often found myself defending him. And trust me, it’s not always easy.

("Ken, can you give us an example?")

Of course, I can...

Just the other day, I was having a conversation with a local priest. At some point, Rip's name got brought up. The priest says to me, "But Ken, I hear that this Rip guy is an asshole." So, feeling the need to defend my friend once again, I explain, "Yes, father. But he's a good asshole." No one, not even a priest, is going talk crap about my buddy.

 ("Hey Ken, I hear Rip is quite the karaoke singer!")

That’s putting it mildly.

(“Can you tell us about it?”)

Absolutely….

Several years ago, Rip and I were having a few beers at local bar where it happened to be karaoke night. Well, I thought it would be funny to fill out a slip and put Rip's name on it. I had to make sure it was special song that Rip could really relate to. So, I picked "I Am Woman" by Helen Reddy. When the DJ picked up the song slip, a puzzled look instantly appeared on his face. And then, he announced, “OK, this one is going to be good. Please welcome Rip up to the stage." Of course, by this time we were three sheets to the wind, so Rip just shrugs and walks up to meet the DJ who then hands him a microphone. Rip, at this point, still has no idea what song I've picked out for him. When they song titled finally pops up on the karaoke monitor, Rip started to laugh hysterically. I really thought that this was as far as the joke would go. But, Rip being Rip, decided to take it to the next level. As the song began, Rip proudly belted out the lyrics like only he could. About three octaves out of key, he sounded like a wounded wildebeest during mating season. Everyone in the bar eventually stopped what they were doing and gave Rip their full attention. It was perhaps the most compelling performance since The Beatles appeared on The Ed Sullivan Show. My ears were practically bleeding but I couldn’t turn away. It was one of the funniest things that I’ve ever seen. For those three minutes on that karaoke stage, Rip was woman and damned proud of it!

..........................................................................................................................

I tell these stories because, number one, they're funny. And number two, as competitive as Rip can be, he also has a great sense of humor and I knew he wouldn't object to me throwing him under the bus for your entertainment. However, there are many stories that I won't tell you tonight. These are the stories where Rip stepped up, time after time, to do the right thing. As crazy as it might sound, these are the stories that would actually embarrass him. Rip is the type of guy who will do something really nice and then keep quiet about it. If word ever got out that Rip was a nice guy, he would be absolutely devastated. So, since it's his birthday, I won’t embarrass him by exposing all of his good deeds. I will simply say that Rip is a class act.

Rip and I often find ourselves sharing laughs and reliving the old days through our countless memories together.  The bond that we have is something that I will always value. I'll wrap this up by saying that I feel privileged to call Rip a friend. I look forward to many more adventures with him in the upcoming years. However, don’t expect to see me on the golf course with him anytime soon!

I would like everyone to now raise their glasses and toast our friend, Rip....one of the most interesting people that I've ever met.


No comments:

Post a Comment