Friday, October 9, 2015

Route 100 - The Follow-Up

I wrote about my adventures on route 100 back in August*. I actually sent a condensed version of the story to the Maryland Gazette. But for some reason, they didn't seem to think it was worthy of printing. I don't get it, I thought it was a pretty good story. I guess they don't appreciate creative writing?

Anyway, I finally got around to getting my battle-scarred windshield repaired. I figured the cold temperatures will be rolling in soon and the cracks will inevitably spread. So, I called my insurance agent and told him about the damage. He initially instructed me to make an appointment with a local Safelight repair facility. As we continued our conversation, he asked where I was driving when the damage occurred. I told him that I was driving along route 100 in Glen Burnie.

Ah-ha!

He then told about how many people have told him the same exact story. They were driving along route 100, minding their own business, when out of nowhere they were assaulted by barrage of road shrapnel. My agent then informed me that the contractor who had done the road work was handling claims for any damages that occurred during the process.

So, I called the contracting company and explained my situation. I expected to get the run-around. But surprisingly, the receptionist was very nice and directed me to the claims person. I spoke to another female employee who took some basic information regrading the damage, make/model of the car, etc. After this, she explained the she was going to forward my info over to the company's insurance company. A couple of days later, I was contacted by an insurance adjuster. We made arrangements for him to stop by to take a look at the damage.

He stopped by this morning and checked things out. It turns out that one of the "dings" is too large to repair, the entire windshield is going to have to be replaced. I was really glad that I didn't go through my own insurance company because I would have been required to shell out a $100-200 deductible for something that occurred due to someone else's negligence.

Apparently, the road work on route 100 has created a very large number of insurance claims for Liberty Mutual. Windshield damage is the most frequent claim But there has also been reports of body damage, busted headlights and blown out tires. I'm seriously wondering if anyone will come forward with a claim of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

I explained to the insurance guy that I had recently bought a new car (for Tina). I had purposely waited for the completion of the road work before I made the purchase. I couldn't see buying a new car only to have it pock-marked in the first week. Thankfully, the road work is now complete and the paint on the new car is still unblemished.

I was informed that the same company that did the work on route 100 is currently doing a project on I-95. I sure hope that they clean up their mess a little better on this job. Can you imagine driving behind a tractor-trailer and having a road-full of gravel hurled toward you at 75 mph? Your windshield wouldn't stand a chance. And neither would you!

kw

* http://kensmouthpiece.blogspot.com/2015/08/route-100-commuters-battleground.html

1 comment:

  1. Having to deal with insurance companies when you have damage to your vehicle can be a daunting task. Obviously, the insurance companies do not want to make payment If the dont have to pay, they wont. That is how they stay in business. I was glad to see you got your issues resolved and kudos on the newly, unblemished car

    Steven Keltsch @ Allied Insurance Managers, Inc.

    ReplyDelete