Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Just Trying to Get The Kids Home

So, today I'm walking across a parking when I see a guy approaching me. We exchanged a brief glance as we passed each other. And then, after he was about ten feet past me, I get the dreaded, "Excuse me, sir."

Ugghh......

I've been down this road many times before. I prepare to hear his bullshit story about how he's got a flat tire, ran out of gas or got dumped in the area after a bachelor party with no money to get home. So, I sigh, and respond, "Yeah, what can I do for you?"

He tells me about how he's from the Eastern Shore and he's out of gas. He asks me if I could spare a few dollars to help get him on his way. Of course, I'm not buying any of it. I told him that I've heard the "out of gas" story many times before. Feeling generous, I offer the guy some sound advise by telling him to come up with a more original story the nest time wants to scam someone. The guy then says, "Look man, I've got two young kids in the car. I'm just trying to get them home."

Knowing that I should just walk away, I also feel compelled to engage further. So, I say, "I like this. You're a fast learner. It makes me feel like I've helped someone today. The kids in the car is a really nice touch. By the way, where's your car? I'd like to meet your kids."

The guy immediately gives me the deer-in-the-headlights look. Or maybe it was the WTF look, I dunno. But he eventually comes out of the trance and says, "Look, a few minutes ago, I asked another guy to help me get home and he told me to go ask Obama for some help."

I couldn't help but laugh. Again, I was met with a confused look from the guy.

"Why is that so funny?", he asked

"I don't know," I said as I shook my head. "But it doesn't seem like you're having a whole lot of luck with this crowd. So maybe you should ask Obama...."

At this point, I knew I'd better start moving away. As I walked away, I said," It's been nice talking to you but I'm late for a meeting. Best of luck to you and the kids."

I've really got to stop engaging with people.....

kw

No comments:

Post a Comment