Saturday, April 25, 2020

Coronavirus - The Lysol Effect

So, the weekend's here! Anyone have any big plans?

As we continue to trudge through these uncertain times, it's evident that people are starting to get a little edgy. As I made my way down the grocery store aisle earlier this week, I watched people literally back away and avoid me like I was Hannibal Lecter. I consider myself to have an engaging personality. I'm used to having spontaneous conversations with random people I cross in my daily journey. So, I when I see people intentionally avoiding me, I start to feel a little like the kid who always gets picked last for the schoolyard baseball game. 

There is also a lot of criticism on the way the COVID-19 situation is being handled by our local and national leaders. I have backed away from politics over the past few years for several reasons. The main reason being that it was taking it's toll on my well-being. I was walking around pissed off all the time, ready to argue with anyone within earshot. I'm not sure if it was directly related, but my doctor also put me on blood pressure medication about three years ago (I was taken off of them about a year ago). While I'm still passionate about what I believe, I'm just not as loud about it anymore. I have plenty of friends who will carry that torch for me. 😉

With this being said, I feel the need to address the provocative story that's been circulating around the news headlines recently. If I just woke up and turned on a random news channel, I would inevitably see a headline that says something like...."Makers of Lysol are issuing a warning about ingesting disinfectants after a recent suggestion by President Trump."

Several people have asked my take on it. First off, let me say that I am not a fan of the news networks. They all have a bias as they routinely digest and regurgitate soundbites. Case in point, I had search several new sites to get the President's complete quote on the subject. So, interpret it anyway you want but here is the complete quote:

"Question that probably some of you are thinking of if you're totally into that world, which I find to be very interesting. So supposing we hit the body with a tremendous, whether it's ultraviolet or just very powerful light. And I think you said that hasn't been checked but you're going to test it," Trump said, looking over to Bryan.

"And then I said, supposing you brought the light inside the body, which you can do either through the skin or in some other way. And I think you said you're gonna test that too. Sounds interesting, right?

He continued: "And then I see the disinfectant where it knocks it out in  a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that by injection inside or almost a cleaning?  Because you see, it gets into the lungs and it does a tremendous number, so it will be interesting to check that. So that you're going to have to use medical doctors. But it sounds, sounds interesting to me. So, we'll see"

So, there you have it. My assumption is that if you hate Trump, you're going to say that he's telling you to shoot up Lysol. If you like Trump, you're gonna argue that he was suggesting that we explore the possibility of using some type of internal disinfectant to combat the virus. 

I'm certainly no medical doctor and I doubt if I could even play one on TV. However, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if  you choose to inject yourself with a Lysol speedball, you probably won't have to worry about the coronavirus.

Fifty years after sending a man to the moon, we now have to tell people to not inject themselves with household disinfectants. What have we become?

Until next time, stay safe and be smart!

kw

No comments:

Post a Comment