Sunday, November 8, 2020

Alex Trebek - Farewell To The Classy Host

There are certain TV personalities that make you feel like you're spending time with a long-time friend. Whether you've just come home from a rough day at work or you're just killing time, you can hang out with that friend with a simple push of a remote control button....

For years, we would gather at my parents house on Tuesday nights for a family dinner. Part of that tradition included watching Jeopardy, My cousin Virginia and I would grab our spots in the living room just before 7 o'clock and prepare to test our trivia knowledge. Alex Trebek would introduce the categories and then we would instantly proceed to a rapid fire round of questioning. Virginia and I would usually throw our guesses out there before Alex was even finished reading the clue. My Dad, who would half-hardheartedly play, would take the conservative approach and only chime in when he was 99.9% sure of the answer. 

When Final Jeopardy came around, my Dad would usually start talking about something totally unrelated to the game. I would say, "Hold that thought, Dad! We need to concentrate!" He would then immediately resume talking... 

A lot of things have changed since we gathered in my parents living room. I often wish that I could turn back the hands of time. But I know that's not possible. However, I knew I could always tune into Jeopardy where Alex Trebek would instantly bring me that nostalgic comfort that I desired.

One of the unique things about Jeopardy was that you always ended up a little smarter than when you started. 

Sadly, Alex Trebek, Jeopardy's beloved host,  passed away earlier today at the age of 80 after a lengthy battle with pancreatic cancer. He fought courageously with class and dignity. He continued to record new episodes of Jeopardy while he dealt with his personal health struggles. Although it had to be excruciating at times, his goal was to bring joy to the devoted fans of his show as long as he possibly could. He was truly a class act...

It's only fitting that we throw out some trivia tidbits in his honor. Alex Trebek holds the Guinness World Record for most shows hosted with approximate 8000. He also has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. He was a big philanthropist, giving away millions of dollars to various charities. 

Alex Trebek once said, " I don't think life would be as rewarding if I weren't helping my fellow man out whenever I get the chance."

I remember watching an episode of Jeopardy's Tournament of Champions earlier this year. One of the contestants did not have an answer for the Final Jeopardy question. So, he simply wrote "We love you, Alex." It was so moving that even Alex himself got choked up.

Alex Trebek said that he wanted to be remembered as a nice guy. I don't think that he'll have to worry about that. He will be remembered as one of the classiest TV hosts ever. His wit and charm were second to none. And he will, no doubt, be missed by trivia fans all over the world....

kw








No comments:

Post a Comment