Thursday, November 26, 2020

Thanksgiving 2020

As we prepare for our Thanksgiving celebration, I think it's safe to say that things won't be quite as "traditional" as in previous years. Large family gatherings are being discouraged. The mad rush to the retailers for the post-dinner shopping sprees are being put on ice. And even traditional Thanksgiving football games are being suspended. The Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade is still on but it will be making it's way down a vacant New York street.

No doubt, there are plenty of things to be depressed about. But is that really appropriate for a day we call Thanksgiving

Instead of dwelling on the negativity, maybe we should try to focus on some of the good things. At least for one day....

Today, as always, I am thankful for being an American. Although we might be in the midst of the most trying time of our generation, there's no place I'd rather be. 

I'm also thankful for the family and great friends who make my life what it is. Like I've said before, material things can be nice. But they pale in comparison to the people in your life. With every interaction with someone, you take away a little part of that person. I'm not going to get all philosophical but there is a bit of intangible magic in that

Speaking of friends, I have to give a special shout-out to my buddy, Ray Bachman. Not only is he one of the funniest guys I've ever met, he is also one of the most generous. Last night, as our beloved trivia host, he invited anyone who might be alone on Thanksgiving over to his home for dinner. He's in the entertainment business so he's taken a big hit during these COVID times. But he's still the kind of guy who would give you the shirt off of his back. He's a class act and I'm proud to call him a good friend. (I'm not sure if his girlfriend knows about his open invitation for today's dinner, so keep it on the down-low...😅)

In the true spirit of Thanksgiving, I am thankful for the countless healthcare workers who have been working around the clock during the COVID pandemic. During the course of my job, I spend a lot of time in hospitals and research labs. I have seen the tremendous work these people do. It's awesome, humbling and inspiring. 

Along the same lines, I am thankful for all of the first responders who always step up to the plate in times of crisis. If you see a fireman, police officer or paramedic during your travels, be sure to give them a friendly nod to show your appreciation.

And as always, I am thankful for the service of all of our military personnel who continue to keep our country safe, even in these crazy times.

On a lighter note, I am happy that I got to lounge in front of the TV in my pajamas until almost 11 am on a Thursday. It's rare that I relax this late into the day. And quite honestly, it feels pretty good.

I am also thankful for the beautiful spring day that has greeted us here in Maryland on this normally chilly November holiday. This gives me a perfect excuse to wear shorts today. They will provide the room and flexibility that I will surely need after that second helping later.

Here's to wishing you a positive and stress-free holiday. May each of you have a very Happy Thanksgiving...

kw







No comments:

Post a Comment