Monday, December 21, 2009

Dare We Say Christmas?

I am so sick of the political correctness that has infected Christmas in America. It’s like the word “Christmas” is a dirty four-letter word these days. Pay attention to any of the “holiday” advertisements. See how many actually mention the word Christmas. I promise it won’t be many, if any at all!

I don’t understand this. Isn’t Christ the whole reason behind the Christmas celebration? So, why does everyone feel like they have to walk on eggshells when referencing December 25? In case anyone is wondering, the majority of Americans are still Christians. So, frankly, if people are offended by the word Christmas, that’s a problem that they should just have to deal with!

Most retailers are scared to death to mention the word Christmas in fear of offending a potential shopper or two. To those retailers, I’ve got news for you; you’re offending the majority of your potential shoppers when you practice political correctness. When I make a purchase and the cashier wishes me Happy Holidays, I make sure that I respond, “And you have a Merry Christmas as well”. And if I’m in jolly mood, I’ll sing them the chorus to O’ Come O’ Ye Faithful….

O’ come let us adore Him,
O’ come let us adore Him,
O’ come let us adore Him!
Christ The Lord.

If they get offended, they can kiss my Christmas-carolin’ ass.

You gotta love the public schools too. Several years ago, not surprising, they caved into political correctness too. The traditional Christmas break is now called the “winter holiday”. And if that wasn’t bad enough, the customary “Christmas play” can not have any Christmas songs that reference Christ. You know, songs like Away in the Manger, Silent Night, Hark The Herald Angels, etc. Nowadays, the only ones that are permitted are PC-approved songs like Frosty The Sensitive Snowman and Rudolf The Yellow-Bellied Reindeer. In places like California, you might even hear the fun-filled, Grandma Got Run Over By A Prius. Or perhaps you’ll be blessed with the slightly edited Bing Crosby classic, (I'm Dreaming of a) White Non-Denominational Holiday.

And employers are no different. Even though the overwhelming majority of their employees are Christians, most companies will not dare mention the word Christmas. No more company Christmas parties. We are now invited to “Holiday get-togethers”. What are companies afraid of? Can someone possibly sue because they’re offended by the word Christmas? I’m almost afraid to ask that question!

I have to wonder if Christmas will one day be abolished altogether. It seems we’re heading in that direction. Hey, maybe it will be replaced with an all-inclusive, non-discriminating holiday like Kwaanza!

If I had a dime for every time I’ve been offended, I’d have more money than Tiger Woods’ ex-wife! When I’m offended, I deal with it and move on. Ok, maybe I rant a little. But I don’t expect anyone to change on my behalf. People in this country need to loosen up! I find it ironic that those who claim to be the most “tolerant” are the same ones who seem to be the easiest to offend. I guess open-mindedness only works when it fits their agenda?

To anyone that may have been offended by any of this, I sincerely wish you a very Merry Christmas!


KW

No comments:

Post a Comment