Saturday, September 11, 2010

Memories of 9/11

It’s hard to believe that already been nine years since the infamous events of 9/11. I can still remember the events unfolding as if it were yesterday…...

I had gotten called out to work on the late evening of September 10. By the time I got back home, it was around three in the morning. As a result, I wound up sleeping later than usual. I woke up to the sound of my clock radio as the DJ was talking about a plane flying into a building. I was still groggy and didn't pay much attention. When I went to the kitchen to get a cup of coffee, I flipped on the TV. Then, I saw the images of the first burning tower. Without even sipping my coffee, I was now fully awake.

I remember watching in horror as the second tower of the World Trade Center was hit. Shortly afterwards, the news was broadcast that the Pentagon was struck. My brother-in-law was working in Washington that day. I remember that we sent several text messages back and forth. The last one I sent simply said, “Get the hell out of the city!”

When I eventually made my way out to work that morning, there was a unique stillness in the air that I can only describe as eerie. As I drove around the Baltimore beltway, the lack of activity, in a strange way, reminded me of Christmas Day when everyone was comfortably huddled inside among family and friends. Although, many of us were huddled together on that September morning, it was far from a holiday.

Watching the terror that was being inflicted on our country was sickening. I think every possible emotion ran through my nervous system that day. Strangely enough, at one point, I almost started to feel sorry for the animals behind the attack. My thought was, “You bastards have just f*cked with the wrong country!”

Some of the images from that day will forever be ingrained in my memory……

I remember watching a video clip of a fireman inside the lobby of one of the towers. He had a confused look of terror in his eyes. There were sounds falling objects beyond the large front windows. With every thud, the fireman looked even more confused. I later learned that the “falling objects” were actually people who had jumped from the upper floors to avoid the intense heat from the fire.

I remember seeing people covered in soot scrambling to get out of lower Manhattan. I felt so bad for them.

Rescue workers rushed into the burning Towers, attempting to save as many people as possible. They climbed countless stairs with loads of heavy equipment. They were scared, but they did it anyway. That, my friends, is the definition of bravery! Thinking about their heroics, today, still gives me chills.

Fueling my anger, I watched a live video clip of a street scene in Pakistan. Muslims were celebrating as they watched the Twins Towers crumble. I developed an instant hatred for these people. How could they celebrate as thousands of innocent civilians were being murdered?? I learned all I ever wanted to know about fundamentalist Islam that day.

I remember watching members of Congress joining together in front of the Capital for a rendition of God Bless America. The sent a message to the world that, although we were reeling from the raw pain of the attacks, nothing could ever break our spirit. Indeed, united we would stand!

As I tried to digest the day’s events, something magical happened. For the first time that I can ever remember, there were no differences in this country. We weren't black or white. We weren't Democrats and Republicans. There were no liberals or conservatives. We were all in this together and we were all simply Americans.

Several weeks after the attacks, I was watching the World Series in a bar in Colorado. New York happened to be playing Arizona. And September 11 was still fresh in everyone’s mind. At one point, a New York player hit a homerun and I instinctively shouted, “Yeah, baby!!” For the first time in my life, I was actually rooting for the Yankees. And a quick scan of the barroom told me that everyone else was too.

………………………………………………………………………………………………..............

Earlier this year, while in New York City, I took a tour of Ground Zero. It was a cold winter day. Construction equipment now sat in the space the Twin Towers once occupied. But my mind kept flashing back to the chaos that took place here nine years earlier.

Our chaperon was much more than your average tour guide. She was a 9/11 survivor. She had worked in one of the towers and told us from a firsthand point of view of what things were like on that September morning. At times, she had to pause as the emotions from that day came roaring back. She told us about the friends and colleagues that she lost that day. Although everyone hoped and prayed that their loved ones would be found, too many of them never came home.

She also told us about the local people who were displaced from their homes around Ground Zero. Many of them weren't allowed to go back for months. Pets were left alone in vacant homes to fend for themselves…..

She took us around the whole WTC complex, explaining the significance of each vantage point. When we finally reached the end of the tour, we all thanked her for sharing her story with us. It couldn't have been easy for her. But she explained that she has to talk about it. It’s part of her healing process. God bless her.

After the tour, we stopped off at the small museum across from Ground Zero. Although there were multiple artifacts from the event, the thing that struck a chord for me was the letters that were left near the fallen buildings. These were letters with photos of friends and family members who were missing after the towers collapsed. It was overwhelming and I felt myself welling up as I read each letter. In reality, each one of these photos and letters represented a human life that was lost on that day. It was truly heartbreaking….

I’m sure we all have our own recollections of how we felt that day. In an instant, we forgot about the trivial things in our lives, and we saw what really mattered. Oddly, the most trying times often bring out the best of the human spirit. There was no doubt that America would indeed prevail over the cowardly terrorist attacks of 9/11.

Please take a moment today to remember those who lost their lives on September 11, 2001 and all of those who bravely gave all in the continuing war on terrorism.. May they all rest in peace and may God bless America.......


kw

1 comment:

  1. God Bless you too, Ken. And thank you for sharing your raw eloquence.

    Ginny

    ReplyDelete