Sunday, April 17, 2011

Know What I'm Sayin'

Sometimes, it's the little things in life that mean the most. But other times, it's the little things that drive me nuts! For instance, have you ever seen someone make a mistake and then say, "My bad"? I personally hate that stupid expression. It sounds like something a three year would say. It doesn't even make sense!

I was channel surfing the other day and stumbled on some rapper who was being interviewed. I'm always morbidly curious to see what enlightening words will come from these guys. The interview was laced with profanity, but what really drove me nuts was that the rapper ended every sentence with, "Ya know what I'm sayin'?" Of course, I know what you're sayin', you just said it! Why do we have to confirm it after every sentence?

And when did "Have a good one" become an acceptable farewell? I mean, what exactly are you saying? Have a good what? And if this isn't bad enough, the other day a woman told me to "Half a good one". I don't know if she thought she was being witty or if she was just that stupid. Either way, it really irritated me. I don't know why these little things tick me off so much, but they do.

While going into a secure building recently, the female "security" guard asked to see my drivin' license. I don't think I've ever heard of it referred to this way. But I'm going to give her a break since the bar to become a "security" guard is set pretty low.

And why do people refer to other people as "dog"? Yeah, Randy Jackson gets away with it on American Idol. But you sound like an idiot when you use this as a term of endearment in normal conversations. One time, someone called me dog and my impulsive reply was, "What the f*ck did you just call me?" Ok, maybe I came across as a little belligerent, but I couldn't help it. I don't like people calling me a dog.

Here's another thing that gets under my skin. I recently ran into business acquaintance who I hadn't seen in a while. The first thing she says to me is, "Damn Ken, I haven't seen you in about a minute!" I didn't even know how to respond to this. I couldn't remember the last time I saw this woman. And now she's telling me that's it's only been a minute? What's that all about?


KW

No comments:

Post a Comment