Monday, May 2, 2011

Bin Laden Bites The Dust

I've often said that living in America is like hitting the lottery everyday. Of course, some days, the jackpot is a little more lucrative. Today happens to be one of those days....

Learning that Osama Bin Laden was finally dead, I instantly felt the rush of red, white & blue through my veins. Turning on the news channel, the first thing I saw was a video of people on the New York subway singing The Star Spangled Banner. Every one of them was belting out the familiar lyrics at the top of their lungs. It was a beautiful thing!

I instantly wondered when we might see the body of Bin Laden. But I quickly learned that he was already buried at sea. Of course, the "official" word on this is going to be that US wanted to comply with Islamic tradition which requires a speedy burial. In reality, it would have been tricky trying to find a country to willingly accept the terrorist's body for a traditional burial. I mean, can you imagine the public relations nightmare on that? Also, why hand the body over just so terrorist groups can rally around it and build propaganda? Although I understand the diplomatic reasons for the burial at sea, I would have personally liked to have seen Bin Laden's body brought back the States and dragged through Times Square!

For years, we all assumed that Bin Laden was hiding in a cave somewhere. But, it turns out that he was in a luxurious mansion in Pakistan. And this mansion happened to be in Abbottabad, which is the home of Pakistan's main military academy and a short distance from the capital city of Islamabad. And Pakistan is supposed to be our friend? Yeah, I want to see them try to bullshit their way out of this one!

Yes, it took almost ten years to dispose of Bin Laden, but we knew he couldn't hide forever. Pissing off the US military, especially the Navy SEAL's, is never a smart thing to do. And ultimately, a bullet from a SEAL sent Bin Laden out of this world and onto his 72 virgins (or whatever those terrorist assholes do when they die these days). By the way, I hear that there was a $25 million reward for bringing down Bin Laden. I say give it to the SEAL's and let them have one hell of a party!

I'm sure it won't be long before the political posturing begins, But I'm setting all of that aside for now. Today, I am simply a proud American. Chalk one up for the good guys!

KW

No comments:

Post a Comment