Friday, December 2, 2011

20 Awesome Rock Albums


I always enjoy sitting around talking about music with my buddies. It always brings back memories of those younger days when everyone was riding through the high school parking lot blasting their favorite band through a set of Jenson coaxials.

To be quite honest, I have lost interest in most of the modern day rock and roll. These days, I prefer country music (before you grill me, see my blog entitled "I'm A Little Bit Country". It will help explain things). However, I will forever be hooked on the records and bands of my youth. Although they're subject to change without notice, here are twenty of my all time favorite rock albums. Some are very familiar, others maybe not. But, if you're a rock and roll fan, all of the following albums all worthy of a spot on your CD shelf.


Foreigner - self titled - When these guys first hit the scene back in the 70's, you knew they were destined to make it big. I was instantly drawn to Lou Gramm's versatile vocals and Mick Jones' catchy guitar transitions. This is one of those rare albums that I owned on vinyl, 8-track, cassette and CD. Basic rock and roll, but I'll never get tired of listening to it. All of the songs are great, but I particularly love the hard driving "War of the Worlds".



Aerosmith - Rocks - I could probably make a valid argument for any of the early Aerosmith albums, but Rocks tends to be my favorite. It was produced very well but it still had that raw edge that I liked so much about 70's Aerosmith. I love the groove of "Last Child". I can't imagine anyone other than Steven Tyler singing it. "Back In The Saddle" And "Sick As A Dog" are two of my all time favorites on this album too. Tyler and Perry might have been The Toxic Twins back then, but they're songwriting was brilliant.


The Black Crowes - Shake Your Money Maker - Just when I thought rock was on it's last leg, along comes The Black Crowes. The first time that I heard "Jealous Again" I was blown away. The southern vibe with the bluesy guitar sound were perfect companions for Chris Robinson's soulful vocals. "She Talks To Angels" is a beautiful song that is quite capable of giving you goosebumps. And the Crowe's cover of Otis Redding's "Hard To Handle" is top notch.



Def Leppard -High n' Dry - The beginning guitar riff to "Let It Go" is one of my all time favorites. I used to love playing this song with my band mates years ago. High n' Dry is a little more polished than the band's debut album (On Through The Night), but it still captures all of the energy. "Bringing On The Heartbreak" has become a classic rock ballad. I have to admit that I was disappointed when they remixed it and added keyboards. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.



Van Halen - self-titled -  The first time that I heard "Eruption", my jaw dropped. Eddie Van Halen carried forward the torch that Jimi Hendrix lit so many years ago. Van Halen's cover of "You Really Got Me" has become a iconic. I love the heavy, steady rhythm section of Alex Van Halen and Michael Anthony. And David Lee Roth is one of those rare frontmen who can legitimately be mentioned in the same breath with Mick Jagger or Robert Plant.



AC/DC - Highway To Hell - I loved Back In Black almost as much, but Highway to Hell gets the slight edge because of Bon Scott. His unique vocals were the perfect fit for Angus Young's simplistic, yet powerful guitar riffs. I love the title track as well as "The Girls Got A Rhythm" and "Beatin' Around The Bush". I've always wondered what Bon Scott would have sounded like on the Back In Black album.




Guns n' Roses - Appetite For Destruction - In my opinion, the greatest debut rock album of all time. This record oozes with attitude. The songwriting is brilliant and Axl Rose's screeching voice is complimented perfectly by Slash's blistering yet melodic guitar solos. The rhythm section of Izzy, Duff and Steve complete the recipe for one hell of a rock band. Of course, "Welcome to the Jungle" and "Sweet Child o' Mine" have become classics. But I always loved "Out To Get Me" and "Night Train". Every song on this one totally kicks ass!


4 Non-Blondes - Bigger, Better, Faster, More - Every now and then, a record will come out of left field. For me, this is the one. The first time I heard "What's Up", I was instantly drawn to Linda Perry's energetic vocal style. I had never heard anyone like her and instantly went out and bought the CD. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the other songs on the record were just as good. I particular like "Calling All The People" and "Morphine & Chocolate". The biggest problem that I have with this band is that they never came out with a follow-up album.


Led Zeppelin - IV - How do you pick a favorite Zeppelin album? They're all great! But I'm going to settle on the fourth album. And although this album has the most famous rock ballad of all time (Stairway To Heaven), it's not why I like this record so much. More precisely, "Rock and Roll" was the song that first made me want to pick up a guitar. The title says it all. Also, I love the groove of "Misty Mountain Hop" (by the way, 4 Non-Blondes also do a killer version!). And how can you not love the guitar riff of "Black Dog"? "When The Levee Breaks" has a mysterious vibe that goes right along with the mystique of the album name, cover, etc.

Alcatrazz - Disturbing The Peace - An album that's not on everyone's radar, but it should be. Although not a household name, this album features one of rock's greatest vocalists, Graham Bonnet. This record also features my favorite guitar player, Steve Vai. The opening song, "God Blessed Video" makes you want to instantly crank up the volume. I blew out a set of speakers in my old Cutlass Supreme listening to this one years ago. "Stripper" and "Wire & Wood" are two of my other favorites on this record. Trust me, this is one good rock album!


Rush - 2112 - I loved all of their early stuff, but 2112 is still the Rush album that I like best. I couldn't tell you how many times that I've listened to this one from start to finish. This was my first experience with a concept album. I loved the story line of a guy discovering a guitar and music from the "ancient world" in the year 2112. On the B side, "Passage To Bangkok" is one of my all time favorite Rush tunes as well.




Vandenberg - self-titled - During the heavy metal era of the early 80's, it took awhile for this album to sink in for me. The power ballad "Burning Heart" got a fair amount of airplay. "Wait" and "Lost In A City" were two of my favorite tracks. Adrian Vandenberg is a really good guitar player who often doesn't get the recognition he deserves. By the way, how many other Dutch rock bands can you name?




Y&T - Mean Streak - Of all the albums that I've ever owned, I would have to say Mean Streak is the one that I have listened to the most. I absolutely love this record. Dave Meniketti's powerful vocals and tasteful guitar work puts this album in my top three of all-time. The harmonies are also noteworthy. I can't pick just one song on this one, I love them all! Meniketti is another great guitarist who often got overshadowed by some of the more flashy players of the 80's.



Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd has the unique ability to "pull you" into a song. Just listen to "Breathe" or "Brain Damage" through a set of headphones and you'll see what I'm talking about (for enhancement, add your favorite adult beverage). And if you don't get goosebumps after hearing guest vocalist Clare Torry's performance on "The Great Gig In the Sky", you should check your pulse! Brilliant songwriting and passionate musicianship make this record an absolute masterpiece.


Black Sabbath - Heaven And Hell - No one knew what to expect when Sabbath announced they were replacing legendary front man Ozzy Osbourne. But the mystery was solved as soon as Ronnie James Dio belted out the opening lines to "Neon Knights". Dio probably delivered a song better than anyone who ever graced the rock stage. "Lady Evil" and "Children of the Sea", as well as the title track, are my favorites. I always loved the album cover too.


Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime - Another concept album that really sparked my interest. I have always been a big fan of Queensryche. Listening to this album takes you on a thrilling journey of corruption, murder and conspiracy. Musically, Queensryche is as technically solid as you can get. And singer Geoff Tate has one the best vocal ranges the rock world has ever known. Mindcrime was the predecessor to the band's commercially sucessful Empire album. An equally good album in my opinion.


Scorpions - Lovedrive - The first album recorded with new guitarist Matthias Jabs set the German band on a course for huge success in America. From the adrenaline filled "Another Piece of Meat" to the melodic "Holiday", this album delivers the goods. As a bonus, Michael Schenker plays guitar on three of the album's songs. The original album cover drew some controversy. Can you imagine why?




Crack The Sky - White Music - Unless you live in the Baltimore area, you may have never heard of this band. But trust me, they're awesome. I could have just as easily picked their debut album, but I liked the quirkiness of White Music just a little more. "All American Boy" and "Suspicion" are two of my favorites. And I love the unconventional tempo change when the guitar solo kicks in on "Hot Razors In My Heart". These guys can play!



UFO - The Essential UFO. - Ok, I know it's a "best of" album, but I had to include it anyway. By far, one of my favorite all time bands, this record packs a ton of energy. I love Michael Schenker's intro guitar riff to "Rock Bottom". The heavy pounding "Too Hot To Handle" and "Lights Out" always gets my heart rate up. The slow building "Cherry" is one of my favorite UFO tunes.You can't go wrong with any song on this one.




Judas Priest - Unleashed In The East - This album sounds so good that I've always questioned whether it was doctored up. Nonetheless, I've seen these guys live several times, and I can tell you that they nail it. Rob Halford's legendary vocals with the guitar tandem of Tipton and Downing make this the perfect live album for any hard rock fan. It still amazes me that "Diamonds and Rust" was originally done by Joan Baez. I'm sure most people will agree that Priest's version is much better. The "Victim of Changes" track off of this record remains one of my favorite rock tunes ever.



The Cult - Sonic Temple - The first time I heard this album, I was blown away. "Fire Woman" and "Sun King" have all of the piss and vinegar that you would expect from a heavy rock album. But the slower "Edie" delivers just as much passion as the up-tempo songs. A great album to have on your I-Pod while you're working out!


kw

No comments:

Post a Comment