Sunday, December 25, 2011

Money Don't Sing Or Dance

I can never predict where the ideas for my stories will come from......

Taking a little quiet time before the Christmas Day activities kick into high gear, I plugged in a Neil Diamond CD to relax. First off, I always forget how good of a singer he is. It's not so much his actual voice (although it is great) as it is his delivery and phrasing of the lyrics. Anyway, after Sweet Caroline and Cracklin' Rosie kicked in, I couldn't resist the urge to pick up my guitar and play along. It made me think of how the simple things in life can be the most satisfying.

Flipping through the various songs on the CD, I came across one called "Forever In Blue Jeans". I was instantly drawn to the initial acoustic guitar riff. But the most compelling part of the song was when Neil sings.....

"Money talks, but it don't sing and dance, and it don't walk...."


I know it sounds silly, but this jump started the wheels in my head.

If you are constantly obsessed with material things and money, you may miss out on the things that matter most. As you go through life, take to time to stop and smell the roses. It's a big world out there, go out and experience it!

More importantly, cherish the people in your life. Unlike material things, they can not replaced. Money might temporarily buy you happiness but you can't put a price tag on family and friends. It's people who will share those special moments with you. And it's people who will support you when times are tough..

To all of the people who I am privileged to call my family and friends, I am grateful to have you in my life. I look forward to our days ahead and the countless memories that are waiting to be made.....

Have a  Merry Christmas and very Happy New Year!

kw

2 comments:

  1. Between my divorce & losing my job of 15 years i was pretty much down to my part time weekly income and that wasn't very much. During that time i figured the whole money thing out myself. I don't want to say that i am glad i went through all of that but it definitely made me a better person. Don't get me wrong .... i like money as much as the next guy but being around family & friends and having everyone healthy is good enough for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Money is definitely nice to have, Ray. But all the money in the world is worthless compared to family and friends.

    ReplyDelete