Friday, February 15, 2013

A Visit to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Being a rock fan for as long as I can remember, I looked forward to opening of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame back in the 80's. I got a chance to visit the Cleveland museum a few years ago and overall, I really enjoyed it. If you've ever been to any Hard Rock Cafe and seen all of the rock memorabilia hanging on the walls, the RRHOF is like a huge collection of this type of thing. However, unlike the Hard Rock, where you have to hoover over tourists dining on over-priced cheeseburgers, the RRHOF allows you to get up close and personal.

Although I really loved looking over all of the memorabilia  I found some of the displays a bit odd. For instance, there were displays involving non-traditional "rockers" like LL Cool J and Britney Spears. I don't have any personal gripe with any of these performers, but I certainly don't consider them "rock and roll". Of course, people might argue that inductees like Jackie Wilson and Marvin Gaye aren't traditional "rock and rollers" either. However, I believe that the early blues and Motown artists had a major influence on the progression of modern rock. So, in my opinion, they deserve a place in the Hall.

As I made my way through the various sections of the museum, I couldn't help but notice some of the bands who were not members of the "prestigious" hall. Hugely successful and perhaps more importantly legitimate rock bands like The Doobie Brothers, Rush, Steppenwolf, Heart, The Moody Blues and Stevie Ray Vaughn were amazingly not members of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

But probably the biggest shock to me was that not only was Kiss not a member but there wasn't so much as one piece of Kiss memorabilia on display. How can one of the most successful, dynamic rock bands of all time not be included in the mecca of Rock and Roll? We asked one of the RRHOF employees about it. She explained that all of the artifacts in the museum were either donated or on loan from the artist. According to her, Gene Simmons refused to give anything away for free. If the RRHOF paid for any Kiss items, they would likely be expected to do it for other artists as well. Being a huge fan of Kiss through the years, I was really disappointed to hear this story.......

Although Kiss and many other worthy bands were not members of the HHROF, these "bonafide" rockers were:

  • Madonna
  • The Bee Gees
  • Joni Mitchell
  • Earth, Wind & Fire
  • ABBA
  • Run-D.M.C.
  • Grandmaster Flash and The Furious Five

Like I mentioned before, I don't have a personal beef with any of these folks, I believe that music is in "the ears of the beholder". However, I have a hard time trying to see these performers as part of the rock and roll crowd. If the requirements are this loose, can we expect to see Luciano Pavarotti, Rascal Flatts and Bob Marley inducted into the hall before long? Actually, Bob Marley was inducted back in 1994. Hey, I love his music and reggae in general. But it's not rock and roll, it's freggin' reggae!

This year, I'm glad to see that Rush will finally be going into the Hall. The have released over twenty albums and have been one of rock's most successful touring bands ever. They have been together for over forty years. It's mind-boggling to me that it's taken this long for them to get recognized. 

Also, Heart will be going in this year. Another great rock band that's been together since the mid-70's and who has given us iconic songs like Barracuda, Magic Man and Alone. I caught them at Pier Six in Baltimore a couple of years ago and they are still as awesome as ever. And yes, Ann Wilson can still sing her ass off!

In keeping with tradition, the Rock and Roll Hall Fame has also decided to include Donna Summer and Public Enemy in this year's group of inductees. Donna Summer, who I admit was quite talented, was known as the Queen of Disco. I can remember when disco was the antithesis of rock and rock. And now Disco Royalty is going into the Rock Hall of Fame? And Public Enemy? Yeah, when you think of rock's greatest songwriting teams such as Page/Plant, Jagger/Richards and Lennon/McCartney, it natural for Chuck D/Flavor Flav to come immediately to mind.

As crazy as it might sound and staying true the RRHOF logic, I would actually recommend that you to visit the museum if you happen to be in the Cleveland area. Although I don't understand some of their decision making, it really is an interesting place for a "popular music" fan to spend the day. 

kw

No comments:

Post a Comment