Monday, February 11, 2013

Checking Out The Grammys

I don't usually watch any of those awards shows. They're usually nothing more than a bunch of pretentious people gathering together to kiss each other's ass for three hours. Well, for some reason, perhaps out of sheer boredom, I found myself tuning into the Grammy Awards last night.

Although familiar faces like Carrie Underwood and Taylor Swift were on hand, there were a lot of bands and performers to which I was totally unfamiliar. For instance, I had never heard of Mumford and Sons, Gotye, Fun. (I'm not sure why they have a period after their name), The Black Keys and The Lumineers. I have to admit, I really liked the performance by The Black Keys. In fact, I picked up their latest CD earlier today. Tina really dug the performance by Bruno Mars, so I picked up his latest CD for her. 

Jack White had a pretty interesting performance as well. I can't quite figure this guy out. At times, his shrilly vocals and screechy guitar sound like fingernails on a chalkboard. But somehow, he creates an electricity on stage that always captures the audience's full attention.

There was a guy named Frank Ocean who seemed to be nominated in almost every category. I figured the guy must be pretty good. When it was his turn to shine, he performed a bizarre song about Forrest Gump. I thought it was about exciting as watching paint dry. His vocals also seemed to be a bit out of key at times. Personally, I thought the song and performance sucked. I honestly thought half the audience would be asleep by the end of the song.

My friends all break my balls about this, but I'm a huge fan of Kelly Clarkson. I was really happy to see her win a Grammy for Best Pop Vocal Album. Say what you will, but the girl can flat out sing. I tend to draw a bit of ire from the guys when I sandwich one of her songs in between Judas Priest and Led Zeppelin.

The camera kept catching Taylor Swift as she sang to everyone's song. Maybe she was sincere, but it just seemed a bit over the top to me. There's a fine line between cute and obnoxious.

And what's up with Chris Brown. I'm not sure what his "talent" is, but nonetheless he was certainly in attendance last night. Can someone explain to me how a guy who beats up on women even gets invited to an event like this? Not to mention getting nominated for a freggin' award! Don't give him an award, give him an ass-whoopin'!

Adele won the Grammy for Best Pop Solo Performance. No doubt, the woman can sing, but her winning song ("Set Fire To The Rain") was a live version from her Grammy award winning album of last year. I don't think she should have been nominated this year for last year's music. Give someone else a chance.

Gotye won for Best Duo/Group Pop Performance for "Someone That I used To Know". I had heard this song several times before, but I actually thought that Sting sung it. Interesting...

And Carrie Underwood won for Best Country Solo Performance with "Blown Away". I actually like Carrie. She can sing her ass off and she's very easy on the eyes. But I don't know what it is about this particular song, it just annoys the hell out of me. I don't know, maybe I'm just bitter that Miranda Lambert didn't win...

kw

No comments:

Post a Comment