Monday, June 3, 2013

Belligerent Sports Fans

I just read a news article about two idiots who assaulted a guy at Camden Yards during an Orioles/Nationals game last Wednesday. Apparently, the two dimwits had an issue with the guy because he happened to be wearing a Yankees hat. Somewhere along the line, one of the knuckleheads threw a beer on the guy who was sitting next to his girlfriend. When the guy stood up to confront the two assholes, he was punched. This resulted in him falling over a section barrier and fracturing his skull. The last I heard, he was still in the ICU. A great way to welcome him Baltimore, huh?

What the hell is wrong with people?!?

Can't we even go out and enjoy a simple baseball game without some belligerent moron provoking a fight? I know this happens at other places too, especially during football games. But it doesn't make it any easier to comprehend. A friend invited me up to Philadelphia a few years ago to attend a game between the Eagles and Ravens. It sounded like fun. However, he warned me about wearing my Raven's jersey. If I did, he said that at the very least, I would probably have beer and other random objects thrown at me. Worst case, I would probably get my ass kicked.  No thanks, I think I'll just watch the game at home in a much less hostile environment.

Hey, I can understand some heated ribbing between rival fans. It actually makes the game a little more interesting, especially if both sides are somewhat knowledgeable. The offsetting verbal jabs can actually be quite humorous. I've gotten into pissing contests with opposing fans where, by the time it's over, we're all laughing our asses off. This is my idea of a good time. It's much better that sending someone to the ER with a skull fracture, don't you think?

I happened to be at the Orioles/Nationals game on Thursday night. There was group of Washington fans in the row ahead of us. They were talking a little smack during the game, but nothing too bad. But at the end of the game, after the Orioles won (and the Washington fans had a little too much too drink), they got a little bit more mouthy. As we exchanged criticisms of each respective team, the Washington fans were really getting riled up. Although we viewed it as just having a little fun, I saw how things could easily turn ugly. So, we just let it go. I could actually hear the morons arguing with each other as I walked away. My guess was that they, like the Washington Nationals on that night, were losers.

But the night wasn't quite over. We decided to go to nearby Pickle's Pub to meet up with a couple of friends who had rode with us (but sat in another section). At some point, there was a scuffle on the street in front of the bar. I turned around just in time to see one of the security guys punt some poor bastard's head like a soccer ball. The guy, obviously knocked unconscious, laid on the sidewalk with his arms extended into the air for a minute or so. It looked like something out of an MMA fight.

The guy eventually came back to life but literally had no idea what hit him. It was no doubt, a cheap shot by the security guy. As the Baltimore City police arrived, people lined up to show them their cell phone videos. Listening to what people were saying, I gathered that the knock-out victim and his friends were a bunch of Washington National fans who started some kind of trouble with some other bar patrons (who I assume were Oriole's fans). And to thicken the plot a little more, I heard that these particular National fans were also Washington DC cops. If this happens to be true, it should make for some interesting reading in the local newspapers.

But again, why does it have to come to this? Instead of knocking each other unconscious, why can't we buy each other a beer and brag about each other's teams like civilized sports fans? The good news is that the majority of fans are decent, sensible people. But unfortunately, there will always be a few idiots who have the potential to ruin the whole experience for the rest of us.......

kw

No comments:

Post a Comment