Sunday, June 16, 2013

Father's Day 2013

On Father's Day, most of us think of the good times we shared with our Dad. We also remember those tough times when Dad provided us with the support we needed to get through. We often saw Dad as our own personal Superman. And even as we grew older and increasingly more independent, we continued to view our Dad as a man of steel.

As I went about my travels today, I noticed fathers spending quality time with their kids. Maybe I had an increased awareness because it happened to be Father's Day. But nonetheless, I found the scene very comforting.

With this being said, not all of us are fortunate enough to experience these things. I've heard the stories of deadbeat fathers who were largely absent from their children's life. After all of these years, I still don't understand how a man can just bail out on his children. Fatherhood is one of life's most rewarding experiences. When I hear of these instances, I obviously feel bad for the kid that never got to know his real father. But in a crazy way, I also feel bad for the absentee father who missed out on all those timeless moments in his child's life. (Harry Chapin pretty much summed it up in his classic song "Cats In The Cradle")

Later this year, my son will become a Dad for the first time. I can't wait for him to experience the joys of fatherhood. When he was about eighteen years old, my son gave me a birthday card. The card was nice but what really got my attention was the handwritten note inside. In it, he explained how he always looked up to me and that he was grateful for the support and all of the good times we shared together. He also said that, one day, he hoped to be "half of the father that I was" to his child. If he would have bought me a new Corvette, it wouldn't have meant as much to me as his heartfelt note. It still sets in my desk drawer and anytime I need a pick-me-up, I pull it out and read it. Although fatherhood hasn't officially occurred for him yet, I have no doubt that he will also be the father that his son or daughter will be proud to call Dad.

Being thought of as a good father is perhaps the greatest compliment a man can receive. Happy Father's Day to all of the Dad's who took the time to make a positive difference in a child's life.......

kw

No comments:

Post a Comment