Saturday, January 11, 2014

Telemarketing Scam Artists

There are plenty of reasons to dislike telemarketers. They're intrusive, pushy and downright annoying. But in the case of charities, many of these telemarketers are also scam artists. These people will call you and claim to be representing the local police or fire department. But in reality, their main objective is to put money in the pockets of the telemarketing firm. (I've attached a link at the bottom that shows the result of a watchdog group study on "America's Worst Charities")

A few years ago, I received a phone call from a guy who claimed to be representing my local police department. After listening to a few minutes of his scripted bullshit, I told him that I wasn't interested in making a donation. This prompted the arrogant douchebag to say, "Sir, the local police departments rely on these donations so that they can protect our community. Why wouldn't you want to help them?"

I quickly reminded him that my ever-increasing tax dollars are what the police department really relies on. And while I'm certainly not opposed to helping the local police department, I really don't want to make a donation to a phantom company.

Then, the guy says, "Why do you say 'phantom company'? We're talking about the police department here."

"No. we're not. We're talking about your company here. Would you mind telling me who you work for?", I ask.

"Sir, I represent the Anne Arundel County Police Department", he nervously responds.

Frustrated from already spending too much time with this asshole, I say. "Look bud, let's cut through the bullshit. I didn't ask who you represent. I asked who you work for. Since you're not going to help me, let's see if I can figure it out on my own. You work for a company that takes donations under false pretenses. You trick people into thinking that you work for the police department, but in reality, you work for greedy telemarketing firm. If I make a hundred dollar donation, your company is going to kick about $12 over to the police department. The remaining $88 goes into your company's pocket. Did I get it right?"

After a long pause, the guy says, "Sir, we have operating expenses. Some of the donations do indeed go towards that. However, we also send a substantial amount of money to the police department."

"By substantial amount, you mean 12%, right?, I ask.

No reply from the other end of the phone...

I chime back in, "Ok, here's the deal. If you tell me who you work for, I'll give you a donation. I think that's fair, don't you? After all, shouldn't I have the right to know who's getting my money?"

This finally prompted the guy to say, "Have a good day, sir." Then, he hung up on me. How rude!

But I guess it's a good day when I can get under the skin of a telemarketer to the point where he hangs up on me.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While I'm not certainly not bashing all charities, I'm warning you to be aware of the scam artists. These jerks will try to get your sympathy by claiming to "represent" police survivors, kids with cancer, etc. In reality, it's their company who pockets almost all of the money. I don't know how some of these people can sleep at night.......

http://www.tampabay.com/americas-worst-charities/#disabled-police-officers-of-america-inc

kw





No comments:

Post a Comment