Sunday, January 5, 2014

The Reality of Reality Shows

I wrote about reality shows a few years ago*. And since then, the madness continues to spread across my cable line-up like a runaway virus. It seems like three quarters of TV programming is based around some type of voyeuristic experience.

I try my best to avoid most of this nonsense, but it's tough when Tina always has these shows playing in the background. I'm constantly harassing her for watching this stuff. I'll ask her, "Do you ever feel less intelligent after watching an episode of Real Housewives?"

Of course, she usually responds by telling me to shut the hell up. She just doesn't understand that I'm really concerned for her mental well-being. Perhaps her lack of comprehension is due to the damage that's already been inflicted by these intellectually deficit programs? I'm really getting concerned, folks.

Speaking of Real Housewives, have any of you ever watched an episode of this crap? I like to call it the "bitch" show because the word bitch seems to make it's way into every sentence. Here's a typical scene:

"Hey, bitch! You showed total disrespect by twerking on my husband last night!" announces one woman.

Another woman inevitably responds, "Screw you, bitch! What you see as twerking, others see as a sophisticated dance move. If you weren't such a stupid bitch, you'd understand it!"

"Whoa, why don't both of you silly bitches settle down", interjects one of their husbands.

In bitch-like stereo, the two irate women look at the husband and ask, "Who the hell are you calling a bitch??"

You see what I mean??

Just this morning Tina was watching a veterinarian reality show called Dr. Pol. He's some kind of animal doctor that travels over the countryside performing medical procedures on various types of animals. I guess it sounds interesting enough. But every time I glance over Tina's shoulder at this show, Dr. Pol is sticking his arm up a cow's ass. Sorry, that just doesn't work for me, especially while I'm eating my breakfast.

Another show that seems to constantly fill up my DVR is Hardcore Pawn. If Jerry Springer opened a pawn shop, it would look like this. I'm convinced that most of the hostile altercations are scripted. Doesn't this defeat the purpose of a reality show?

And last but not least is Duck Dynasty. Let me address this one as quickly as I can. First off, I have never seen an episode. Of course, one of the stars of the show was all over the news recently for making some controversial comments regarding homosexuality. Several people ask me why I haven't blogged about it. Frankly, I really don't care about the show nor the guy's comments. If you don't like what the guy said, you don't have to watch him. It's that simple. This is America, people should have the right to voice their opinion. But, also in America, as we have seen in the aftermath of the controversial comments, everything boils down to money. No matter how controversial or abrasive the guys comments were, A&E is not going to cancel the show. Principals can be easily compromised by a cash cow (or duck, in this case). That's all I'm going to say about this one...

Now, Tina calls me a hypocrite because I watch The Ultimate Fighter, which I admit is a reality show involving MMA fighters. But at the end of each show, two of the guys get into the cage and beat the snot out one another. It's different. If those bitches from the Real Housewives did this, then maybe I would watch that too!

kw

http://kensmouthpiece.blogspot.com/2009/07/reality-shows.html

No comments:

Post a Comment