Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Affluenza - Can I Catch It?

Well, I learned something new this morning. As I sipped my initial cup of coffee, I caught a news story about a teenager who had fled to Mexico after violating his probation. At first, I wondered why it was such a big deal. The news anchor explained that the Texas teen had killed four people in a drunk driving incident a couple of years ago. The teen driver, Ethan Couch, had a blood-alcohol level three times the legal limit.

For some reason (we'll get to that soon) the judge in this case decided to slap the kid on the wrist. Instead of giving him jail time, he awarded him with ten years probation. Part of the kid's probation was to refrain from alcohol. Before long, this dumb-ass goes to a party with several other teenage friends. And what does every teenager have surgically attached to his or her body? That's right, a cell phone. Of course, someone captures the kid partying and the video winds up somewhere in cyber-space.

So, with the incriminating evidence looming, the kid fled to Mexico with his mother. The US Marshal Service eventually tracked the pair down and handed them over to Mexican immigration authorities. They are in the process of being deported back to the US where the teen might be looking at an extended sleepover with some new friends at the jailhouse.

Ok, now that I've given you a brief summary, let me tell what really caught my attention. You might be wondering how a kid with a blood-alcohol level three times the legal limit could get away with killing four people. Well, apparently there's something called "affluenza". Until this morning, I had never heard of the term. So, what is "affluenza", you ask? According to what I've read, this is a "condition" where a person doesn't have the ability to understand the consequences of his/her actions because of financial privilege. 

Um, okay.......

It seems just like yesterday that being "disenfranchised" was an excuse for bad behavior. Well, now you can also play the rich card. Of course, it helps to have a high-priced lawyer if you plan on coming down with a case of "affluenza". The only requirement is that you need to be rich. Common sense is highly discouraged...

So, if I've got this right, you can get out of a jam by claiming that you've lived a pampered life and therefore, can't be held to the same rules as the common folk? Sorry if I'm not down with the struggle, but I'm just not getting it. 30 grand a year to send your kid to the finest school in town, only to have him come out an idiot.

Affluenza......I definitely learn something new everyday.

kw

No comments:

Post a Comment