Sunday, January 3, 2016

TV Overload

First off, Happy New Year to everyone!

Over the past week or so, I've been fortunate enough to have some of that ever-elusive down time. It's always nice, especially around the holidays, to have an open schedule. With the weather being unusually mild, I would have normally hit the tennis court. But I'm still nursing a sore shoulder and, defying my stubbornness, I decided to give it an extended rest.

Although I don't usually spend hours-on-end watching TV, that's exactly what I found myself doing, on and off, for the past week. Do I feel a bit unproductive? Absolutely. But I have to admit, it's been quite relaxing. So, during my recent phase as a couch potato/TV zombie, I've discovered a few things...

I recently caught an "old" comedy with Harvey Keitel and Cameron Diaz. (I guess I'm showing my age when 1996 is considered "a long time ago"). Anyway, the name of the movie was "Head Above Water". The movie itself was average at best. But the one thing that I observed is that Cameron Diaz was much hotter back then. I think all of the recent exercise and healthy eating has taken it's toll on her.

Yesterday, I found myself watching a "Banshee" marathon on Cinemax. I almost forgot how good this series was! Sex, drama and an unlimited supply of spontaneous violence....what more could you ask for? And there's just something unconventionally lusty about a provocative Amish girl.

I also found myself intermittently tuning into the "Dexter" marathon that was running on Showtime. Another great series that I used to look forward to each Sunday night. A serial killer that not only kills for all the right reasons, but he also happens to work for the Miami PD.

I've found that I'm consistently better on the 7:30 version of Jeopardy after I've already watched the 7:00 version. Amazingly, I still manage to get a few answers wrong on the latter episode.

For some unknown reason, I watched about fifteen minutes of "Howard The Duck". Aside from Star Wars, this might be the stupidest movie ever made. (Before any of you Star Wars geeks show up to crucify me...Relax, I'm kidding! The fact of the matter is that I've never seen any of the Star Wars movies. So, I really have no idea how stupid they really are.) By the way, what ever happened to Lea Thompson? Remember when she was supposed to be the next Hollywood bombshell?

Fargo is my ultimate go-to movie. It abruptly ends my channel-surfing every single time. They recently made a series that's based on the movie. I just finished watching the first season. It's got Billy Bob Thorton in it, so you know it can't be bad.

Fifty Shades of Gray.....did people actually pay money to see this movie? Admittedly, I did wind up watching a few minutes of it on one of the cable channels. What can I say? There's just something that naturally gets your attention when you stumble on someone getting their ass whipped. Literally......

Don't you hate it when you're engrossed in a meaningless TV show and they cut to one of those heart-retching animal commercials? Don't get my wrong, I love animals. But is it really necessary to segue to a sad puppy immediately after Seth gives a customer a verbal beat-down on Hardcore Pawn? It's enough to give a person an emotional breakdown.

Speaking of animals, "Dr. Pol" is another show that I will inevitably tune into at the exact moment I take a bite out of my breakfast sandwich. Let's just say that seeing a veterinarian's arm buried elbow-deep in a cow's ass has a way of ruining one's appetite.

Anyway, I think I've watched enough TV this week to last me for a while. Wait a minute, it's Sunday, right? The football games will be kicking off shortly. Ahh, just when I think I'm out, they pull me back in.....

kw

No comments:

Post a Comment