Saturday, January 2, 2010

An NFL Role Model?

When I first heard that convicted felon, Michael Vick was nominated for the Ed Block courage award, I honestly thought it was a joke. This is on the heels of Vick’s recent completion of a 23 month prison term for illegal dog-fighting. Yeah, dog fighting!

Dog fighting is an illegal underground sport usually ran by rednecks in the backwoods or thugs in the inner city ghettos. So, why would a multi-millionaire athlete like Vick want to be associated with something like this? Was playing in front of millions of fans every week as an NFL quarterback not exciting enough??

Back to the award…..

You see, the Ed Block courage award is named after former Baltimore Colts trainer and respected humanitarian, Ed Block. Block was also a World War II Army officer and a physical therapist for disabled children. The primary goal for the award in his honor is to raise awareness of child abuse.

Each year, NFL teams select one of their players to represent the award. This player is supposed to “exemplify commitment to the principles of sportsmanship and courage.” More or less, the player who best fits the description of a role model. This year, the Philadelphia Eagles feel that Michael Vick is their man. (Excuse me, while I finish laughing)

I find it beyond belief that the Eagles feel that a guy who tortures animals is worthy of an award that is supposed to raise awareness of child abuse. Yeah, I know it's not the same thing, but come on! Maybe they feel that it’s justified to throw a sack full of puppies over a bridge as long as you buy a needy child something special for Christmas. I dunno……

And let’s not overlook the point that the only reason Vick stopped his dog-fighting escapades is because HE GOT CAUGHT!!!!

Hey I know that the moral standards in the NFL sink lower every year. But this one takes the cake. Hey, maybe they'll create a new award for the most rehabilitated convict! There's sure enough of them to choose from!

KW

1 comment:

  1. You nailed it once again bro'! when I first heard that Vick was nominated I said to myself, "I bet you Ed Block is rolling in his grave right about now!" No disrespect...to Mr. Block.

    ReplyDelete