Sunday, February 12, 2012

Remembering Whitney Houston

It's always a bit shocking when a when we learn of a major celebrity's untimely death. Although we don't know them personally, we still have a virtual connection to them through their music, movies, etc. After grabbing my first cup of this morning, I turned on the news and quickly found out that Whitney Houston had passed away.

I'm traditionally a rock and roll guy, but I have to admit, a Whitney Houston song always had a way of grabbing my attention. Her voice itself was powerful, soulful and downright beautiful. But Whitney also had the ability to deliver a song with enough conviction and emotion to give you goosebumps.

I remember the video for "I Wanna Dance With Somebody". Even though this wasn't the traditional type of song that I usually listened to, I always found myself tuning in until the song was over. At the risk of forfeiting my man-card, I also liked 'The Greatest Love of All". I thought the opening line was so powerful:

"I believe the children are our future,
teach them well and let them lead the way.
Show them all the beauty they possess inside......"

I also remember Whitney signing the National Anthem at the Super Bowl in 1991. It totally blew me away. It's still one of the best performances of The Star Spangled Banner that I've ever heard. I must admit, however, that I was a little disappointed when I learned that the song had been previously recorded in a studio and that Whitney was lip syncing during the "live" performance. But it didn't take away from the beauty of her vocals. I still get goosebumps every time I hear it.

Whitney was surrounded by enormous talent in her family. Her mother is gospel singer Cissy Houston, her cousin is Dionne Warwick and her Godmother is none other than Aretha Franklin. No pressure to do well there, huh? Whitney not only did well, she carved out her spot on the prestigious list of legendary recording divas. Whitney's debut album sold over 12 million copies. Her version of "I Will Always Love You" topped the Billboard 100 for 14 weeks. The only song to claim the top spot longer (16 weeks) was "One Sweet Day" by Mariah Carey & Boys II Men. Whitney had seven consecutive number one Billboard hits, breaking the previous record held by a couple of little known groups called The Beatles and The Bee Gees. She also claimed six Grammy Awards.

Several years ago, there were visible signs that something was seriously wrong with Whitney. Of course, we learned that she had been abusing drugs. On the surface, this is always hard to comprehend. In this case, here's a pop princess who was loved by millions. She had everything to live for, so why would she go down this path of self destruction? Sadly, we've seen it way too often.

Whitney Houston was 48 years old when she was found dead in her hotel room on Saturday.

Whitney will, no doubt, be remembered as one of popular music's greatest performers. She leaves behind a large catalog of timeless recordings. She may have left us, but I think it's safe to say that her music will live on forever......

kw

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful. Brought me to tears. Terrible loss.

    v.

    ReplyDelete