Thursday, September 1, 2011

Baltimore Grand Prix

As the Baltimore Grand Prix prepares to get under way, it has already started to generate it's share of excitement. Many of the main strips through downtown have been either rerouted or shut down completely. This has turned downtown traffic into a total clusterf*ck. And commuters are more frustrated than a midget with a yo-yo.

I read an article earlier where the Baltimore Oriole's manager was concerned that some of his players wouldn't be able to make it to Camden Yards in time for the game due to the gridlock. Does it really make a difference at this point  if the Oriole's players show up or not? Nonetheless, what Einstein scheduled Baltimore first Garnd Prix on the same weekend that the Oriole's were in town?

The good news about the big race is that it's expected to bring in a fair amount of revenue for Baltimore. The direct economic impact is predicted to be around $70 million. And the city is expected to receive more than $6 million in annual tax revenue from this and future races. The bad news is that the politicians will inevitably find irresponsible ways to spend it.

But there are some things that I'm concerned about. For instance, I really hope that there are no potholes along the race course. I've seen potholes in Baltimore that could swallow a Cadillac Escalade. I can't imagine what would happen if one of these little race cars hits one at 150 mph. By the way, I wonder if any of the race cars will be sporting spinner rims?

And where are they going to hide all of the "Will Work For Food" guys? Can you see one of these
panhandlers stumbling across Pratt Street while Marco Andretti is making a pit stop? That would make a lasting impression of Baltimore to the rest of the world.

And I sure hope that there is plenty of security at this event. Hey, they don't call Baltimore "the city that bleeds" for nothing. There will surely be plenty of degenerates looking for opportunities to prey on the countless tourists. Hopefully, Baltimore's finest will have plenty of wood shampoo to deal out to these thugs.

And it's got to drive the Mayor and Governor nuts that cars will be going over 100 mph through the city and they won't be able to shell out any red light or speed camera tickets.

I have to admit, I would like to see these cars blazing around the Inner Harbor. I've driven around the area over the past few weeks and the set-up looks pretty impressive. But I seriously doubt if I'll go anywhere near downtown this weekend. I just don't have the patience to deal with massive crowds. I'll likely check it out on TV.

It will interesting to see how everything turns out. If you happen to go, let me know how everything went......

kw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Is3TcCBqfC0&feature=related

No comments:

Post a Comment