Friday, September 23, 2011

A Recap Of The Orlando GOP Debate

The Republican presidential candidates went at it again last night, this time in the battleground state of Florida. I caught most of the debate and here's the way I saw it......

The top two contenders, Mitt Romney and Rick Perry, continued to take jabs at one another. It's getting a little old. I wish they would just answer the questions and let us know what their plans are to fix this broken country.

Perry was beaten up on a couple key issues. Romney attacked his recent comments about Social Security being a Ponzi scheme. I kind of lean Perry's way on this one. If you've frivolously blown the initial investment money and now rely on new "investors" to pay for current Social Security recipients, are Perry's comments really that far off?

Perry was also criticized by Romney and Michelle Bachman on the issue of immigration. Of course, in Perry's home state of Texas, children of illegal immigrants are entitled to in-state tuition rates. Perry signed this into law in 2001. What this amounts to is that an all-American kid from "across the border" in Louisiana would pay more for college in Texas than the kid of someone who broke the immigration law and is not an American citizen. Perry argued that we need to educate these children, otherwise they'll potentially become a drag on our society. I hear what he's saying but I say, if they're here illegally, let Mexico educate them! Why should America pay the bill?? I can't help but think that Perry's views are influenced by the large Hispanic population in Texas.

Ron Paul had some good points, but he seems to come off a bit cold. I think it will be tough for him to win the hearts of the majority of America.

Michelle Bachman held her own on most of the questions. However, she seems to be losing steam as the campaign moves ahead. Personally, I don't think she has a chance for the GOP nomination.

Newt Gingrich is probably the smartest guy in the room. Not only did he have the right answers, he also had a plan. He's a no nonsense guy who has a history of knowing how to get things done. But I don't think he has the charismatic personality of some of the other candidates. I don't expect him to win the nomination, but don't be surprised if he's picked as the nominee's running mate.

The candidate that I was most impressed with last night was Herman Cain. He is a great speaker and knows how to drive his point home. He reiterated his 999 tax plan (9% corporate tax, 9% income tax, 9% national sales tax). He also made it known that he wouldn't waiver on his his support for Israel. And he told a powerful story of how Obamacare (if it had been in place during his bout with cancer) could have cost him his life. I really like this guy.

The line of the night was delivered by former New Mexico Gov. Gary Johnson. Referring to President Obama's pitch for "shovel ready jobs". Johnson said that his neighbors two dogs have created more "shovel ready jobs" than the Obama administration.

At this point, I'm still confused on who my top candidate is. I think Mitt Romney came out of last night's debate on top. But I think I would actually vote for Gingrich or Cain if the election was held today. I'm sure I'll change my mind several more times before it's all over.....

kw

2 comments:

  1. I agree with your observations. And where did this guy Johnson come from anyway. His shovel joke actually came from Limbaugh. He says "someone" gave it to him. Very uncool. I think Perry was the big loser. He seemed to run out of gas halfway through; he seemed unfocused and fumbling. My favorites are Cain and Gingrich -- Cain for his fresh, common sense approach to the issues, and Gingrich because, I agree, he's the smartest person in the room plus the fact that he's a historian by trade and views every issue through the prism of history (you know, those who forget etc., etc.) Unfortunately, neither one has a chance of nomination. So, we will probably end up with yet another establishment type, most likely Romney. Further, much as I hate to say it,I also believe the good old boys in the Repub party in no way would nominate a woman for the top spot -- not Bachmann, not Palin, not any woman. Santorum had a good night, but still doesn't have any serious traction. Huntsman is out of his element -- there is something about him that I instinctively distrust and find not credible. He seems plastic. Ron Paul has some good ideas but otherwise he's a joke. Bachmann did not have a great night and I think her star is on the wane. My 2 cents worth ... I enjoyed it, political junkie that I am.

    ginny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Virginia, I'll think we're on the same page with all of this. Romney will likely get the nomination but I'm not sure he would be top choice for many Republicans. Kind of like McCain in the last Presidential election. I keep hearing that Palin is "thinking" about entering the race. But she will only serve as a distraction at this point. Judging from what I saw from Rick Perry the other night, as much as I hate to say it, if he were to get the nomination, I think Obama would smoke him in a debate. I think Perry is going to fizzle out of this race as it progresses.

    ReplyDelete