Thursday, November 26, 2009

A Day Of Giving Thanks

So, here I am on another Thanksgiving morning. I’ve been here a time or two before, so I pretty much know what the day has in store for me. In a few hours, I’ll be gorging myself on what will seem like a never ending supply of holiday food. And then, I’ll inevitably say, “Man, I can’t believe I ate all that!”

On this day, I’m obviously thankful to have a wonderful family and great network of friends. But I’d like to take a moment to give thanks for some things that we have a tendency to overlook. Bear with me….

I’d like to give thanks to the following:

• The turkey on my dinner table for making the ultimate sacrifice for our dinner pleasure. All I can say is, “You da man!”

• The rainy weather that prevents me from raking up the leaves before our holiday guests arrive.

• GlaxoSmithKline for making the Tums that I’ll surely need lately.

• My DVR so I won’t be lulled to sleep watching the Detroit Lions on the traditional 1:00 game.

• Wal-Mart for providing all of us with a source of entertainment all year long.

• Screwy Louie for lighting up B&A Blvd with his bicycle on those dark foggy nights (you have to live in Glen Burnie to understand this).

• 7-11 for keeping their doors open today just in case I have a sudden urge to grab a Chili Cheese Big Bite.

• My slippers for giving me something to throw at Tina’s cats when they try to steal a piece of turkey.

• Sweatpants for their expandability

• Black Friday shoppers for continuing to amaze me.

• Tupperware for sending the tons of today's leftovers out of here.

• All of the rednecks who park their cars on their front lawns. This leaves more street parking for my guests.

On a serious note. I’d like to sincerely give thanks to all of our men and women of the US Armed Forces. It’s because of them that we are able to live in a free society and enjoy days like today. We too often take this for granted. Keep in mind; while you’re spending Thanksgiving with your family, many of our troops are a half a world away working to keep us safe. Please keep them in your thoughts and prayers……..


KW

No comments:

Post a Comment