Saturday, July 4, 2009

Happy Birthday, America!

It’s the morning of July 4th. I’m priming my system with caffeine before I start to prepare for the annual family cook-out . I like to refer to this time as “the calm before the storm”. Things will likely get busy and loud come mid-afternoon. But that’s fine by me. I’m sure that millions of other backyards across America will be mirroring what's going on in mine today.

As we get caught up in the festivities today, it’s easy to overlook the reason for the holiday. We are so fortunate to live in the greatest country in the world. Anything is possible in this country if you want it bad enough. This truly is the land of opportunity. In a nutshell, we’re free.

Certain things always trigger my patriotic nerve. Just the sight of the American flag instantly fills me with pride. Yes, I do pledge allegiance to the stars and stripes! And to this day, I still get goose bumps every time I hear the Star Spangled Banner. It always makes me think about the sacrifices that were made for our freedoms.

Shortly after the attacks of September 11, I recall flipping through the news channels. I instantly stopped when I saw a live shot of the US Senate on the steps of the Capital. They were all singing God Bless America. It was one of the most powerful images that I ever saw. There were no liberals or conservatives that night. Everyone was a proud American. Thinking about it still strikes an emotionally chord in me.

Today, while celebrating this day with your family and friends, please take a moment to reflect on those that have fought and still fight for our freedom and independence. This country owes a debt of gratitude to our troops. I’d like to thank each and every one of them. Quite simply, they are the best!

Happy Birthday America!

KW

PS….I must also mention that we’ll also be celebrating Tina’s parent’s 50th wedding anniversary today. Congratulations to two of my favorite people!

No comments:

Post a Comment