Friday, July 3, 2009

The Job Market

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Well, in the growing list of companies that are downsizing, Macy's announced yesterday that it will lay off some 7000 workers. Macy's! The same company that puts on the big Christmas parade every year! It almost seems un-American for them to have problems. I have to wonder when the bleeding will end. Is there any safe industry left in this country (except, of course, the federal government).

Speaking of the federal government, I find a bit ironic that the folks that are largely responsible for the failing economy have the most secure jobs! This is like putting a tax cheat in charge of of the Treasury. Oh wait a minute, that did happen, didn't it? Never mind....

Anyway, back to the job crisis. Years ago, I got into the computer industry because my thought was, "Computers will be here forever. I'll never have to worry about a job if I go into that field." Boy, was I ever wrong! As a result of outsourcing, cheap foreign labor and ironically, emerging technology, the IT industry is about as secure as Rosie O'Donnell in a string bikini..

Twenty years ago, if you lost your job, it was a temporary set back. In fact, a lay-off could sometimes be welcomed as as period of well deserved R & R. After all, there were a million other jobs to pick from when the party was over. Plus, this getting up early five days a week is bullshit! But today, there's hardly anything out there. Even Home Depot is laying off! I saw a news segment yesterday where a company (I think it was in Florida) announced they had opening for a few workers. Over 1000 people showed up to apply! Sadly, the lucky ones that get hired will probably the same ones that are laid off six months from now!

We can point the finger at whoever we want, but we need someone to turn this ship around before it goes over the falls. And from what I've seen from President Obama over the past two weeks, it leaves me feeling more than a little pessimistic.
11:39 am est

No comments:

Post a Comment