Friday, July 3, 2009

Monday Morning Quarterback

Monday, February 2, 2009

Alright, so the Ravens didn't get to play in the big game this year. But want are you gonna do? One could make the argument that the Super Bowl was really decided in the AFC Championship game two weeks ago. But obviously, two AFC teams can't go to the Super Bowl. So, here we are...

I have to be honest, I wasn't excited about this Super Bowl at all. In fact, this was the first Super Bowl that I watched alone in my entire adult life. I didn't hear of any SB parties and I really wasn't that interested in hosting one. I'm not sure that anyone would have came anyway.

So, in George Thorogood fashion, I fixed a nice tall rum & coke and proceeded to drink alone. I sat back and fired up the television. Faith Hill was just ending her version of America The Beautiful. No surprise, she sounded great. I'm not really that familiar with Jennifer Hudson. But she did a rendition of the Star Spangled Banner that sent chills up my spine. Only later did I realize that both women were lip syncing. What a bunch of bullshit!

Shortly afterward, the referees gathered everyone at the middle of the field for the ceremonial coin toss. In addition to the teams captains, several former Super Bowl MVP's were introduced. John Elway and Lynn Swann to name a couple. But the thing that really impressed me was when they introduced General David Petraeus as one of the MVP's. I thought this showed a lot of class on the part of the NFL. This struck a bit of an emotional chord for me. My son, who would normally be watching the big game with me, is currently serving in Iraq. God bless him and his fellow troops!

Let's move on to the first half....

Ben Rothlesberger seemed to be able to move the move effortlessly throughout the first quarter. The guy is a hell of a QB. Not since John Elway, have I seen a guy that guy turn a busted play into a huge gain. It's got to drive the other team insane. But despite all of this, the Cardinals were hanging right with the Steelers. Then the first half came to a climatic end when Pittsburgh intersected a Kurt Warner pass at near the goal line and returned it for a 100 yard TD. Wow! Talk about a change in momentum!

On a side note, Steeler's safety Troy Polamulu is no doubt, one hell of a football player. But what's up with that hair? I can't figure out if he looks looks more Diana Ross or the guitar player from Metallica!

Ok, now for the halftime show....

Even with the possibility of an imminent wardrobe malfunction, I usually don't even pay attention to the halftime entertainment. However, this year I did. And I'm glad of it. Bruce Springsteen was phenomenal! The guy rocked the stadium with several of his all time classics. By the time he kicked into Glory Days, my second rum & Coke had also kicked in and I almost got up and starting dancing.

Moving on.....

The second half proved to be more exciting than the first. Arizona played like the hungrier team. Kurt Warner showed signs of his Ram's days. He hooked up twice with superstar receiver Larry Fitzgerald. And it looked like Arizona was in it to win it. But Big Ben wasn't done yet. He put togther another drive and Pittsburgh took the lead with a late 4th quarter TD in the corner of the end zone.

Warner tried to rally Arizona for a high percentage drive. But it just wasn't meant to be. When it was all said and done, the Steelers collected their record sixth Lombardi Trophy. As a Raven's fan, it doesn't thrill me but I have to tip my cap to them. They have a great team and they'll likely be that way for a while.

Watching the game alone in my quiet basement, I really didn't expect much. But I have to say, I really enjoyed this year's Super Bowl. It will be even better next year when the Ravens are in it. And I promise you that I won't be watching that one alone!

Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment