Friday, July 3, 2009

Michael Phelps


Ok, by now everyone probably knows that Michael Phelps got caught smoking pot. To complicate things, Phelps picked a South Carolina county that has a sheriff who's looking for fifteen minutes of fame. This guy wants to charge Phelps for his offense. Give me a break! Doesn't this Wyatt Earp wannabe have anything better to??

I personally think this whole thing has been blown out of proportion. Phelps smoked a little marijuana, got caught then he apologized. Who cares? Bill Clinton and Barrack Obama have admitted smoking pot. Does anyone care about that? Rappers flaunt their love for pot. Is anyone up in arms about that??

Before I go any further, let me say that I'm not advocating pot smoking, nor do I use the drug. But I do find it ironic that this is considered so taboo in this country. I personally think that alcohol consumption is far more destructive than smoking an occasional joint (or bong, in this particular case).

I think Phelps is being put through the ringer because he's viewed as a clean American hero. The media loves to build someone like him up only to tear him down when he reaches the top. When thug-like rappers, professional athletes and Lindsay Lohan screw up, it's dismissed. Why? Because we don't hold them to the same standards. After all, we expect it from them. They don't know any better. And as liberals like to say, "It's someone else's fault!" I don't buy into any of that bullshit. And I am sick of the double standard. If you make something out of yourself, you should leave your baggage behind. If you're now a successful athlete/actor/musician, why would you want to continue to live a thug life? I don't understand the mentality.

As far as Phelps goes, I like the guy. Yes, he was a bonehead for putting himself in a vulnerable position. But I remember what he did for American pride last summer. I remember catching the end of one of his races at a Baltimore bar last year. As Phelps pulled out a dramatic win, everyone in the bar was giving each other high-fives and saying "That's our guy!"
That's the Michael Phelps that I'd like to remember. I say give the kid a break!

KW
9:02 am est

No comments:

Post a Comment